+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    I love how people are upset with the idea of scrapping the school kids bonus. Don't you realise that the school kids bonus was actually a way for the labor government to cut costs by scrapping being able to claim school expenses back on your tax?

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub
    Hence, why I would hate to see it gone altogether.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

It is fair to say that the forum doesn't represent a true cross-section of the population. Sift through the threads at the time of the last election; if BH's members were a true indication, we would have had a Green's PM by a landslide!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Benji  (07-02-2013),headoverfeet  (07-02-2013),kw123  (07-02-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

If Abbott was serious about wasted gov spending then he should get rid of negative gearing on investment property and put it on property owner/lived in. I take no interest in any of their arguments while this still exists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm guessing the women who support Abbott's argument also agree with his parental leave payments which is a massive wealthy /middle class welfare scheme.

I'm educated and probably would be considered middle class but I'm not that gullible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    I'm guessing the women who support Abbott's argument also agree with his parental leave payments which is a massive wealthy /middle class welfare scheme.

I'm educated and probably would be considered middle class but I'm not that gullible.
    I disagree. I would like to see most middle class welfare abolished, including almost all childcare benefits (see me get flamed in previous threads!).

But I don't believe PPL falls into the same category. If women are to ever achieve true equality in the workplace then they must be able to have children without incurring significant financial or career-related loss. It's about much bigger things than middle class welfare, it's about changing the structure of our workplaces to enable women to thrive as men always have.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-02-2013),Mod-pegasus  (07-02-2013),NancyBlackett  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I disagree. I would like to see most middle class welfare abolished, including almost all childcare benefits (see me get flamed in previous threads!).

But I don't believe PPL falls into the same category. If women are to ever achieve true equality in the workplace then they must be able to have children without incurring significant financial or career-related loss. It's about much bigger things than middle class welfare, it's about changing the structure of our workplaces to enable women to thrive as men always have.
    If you want women to thrive as men have then abolishing childcare benefits won't achieve this.

But that's another thread!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MsTruth  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd have to agree lambjam, I think PPL is a requirement considering women end up so much worse off at retirement because of our child raising duties. (but I also think affordable child care is a necessity for the same reason).

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A big problem is usually for something new to be introduced, something else has to be abolished

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'd have to agree lambjam, I think PPL is a requirement considering women end up so much worse off at retirement because of our child raising duties. (but I also think affordable child care is a necessity for the same reason).
    Yup, this ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    (but I also think affordable child care is a necessity for the same reason).
    Affordable, yes. Meaning that those who genuinely can't afford it should receive assistance. Most people I know who receive assistance admit that they do not need it, and would be able to afford childcare without it.