+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I know what you mean but I don't think this will ever happen. Citizens of a country are always going to want "something" from the Govt especially when a large portion of their salary is deducted.

Anecdotally, I know a person who was low income for years and couldn't understand why "high" earners would ever want anything from the Govt. Then her circumstances changed and she earned more and paid a lot more tax as well as not receiving XYZ benefit. She then understood
    But we do get 'something' for paying tax and that is services.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I go back to my original premise and that is the whole system needs an overhaul.
    Totally agree with this, but in the meantime school needs have to be made accessible to all. Which is why I think it's a step backward that the bonus may be taken away.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hm (says she who's been waiting at the opthamologist for over an hour with her son, kudos to my son for waiting beautifully), wow for smart phones and the ability to learn in what would otherwise be a brain dead situation.

I've just been looking up Sweden and Denmark and governments -both listed as unitary parliamentary democracies, both as highest incomes per capita, and highest happiness levels. I couldn't live in one of these countries due to climate, but want to know the negatives.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well, one negative is that even if you did move to Sweden or Denmark, you wouldn't be eligible for all their wonderful benefits.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Totally agree with this, but in the meantime school needs have to be made accessible to all.
    Absolutely. But wouldn't you agree that for many (perhaps the majority of?) people who receive the bonus, school already was accessible? That it was just as it's named, a bonus?

I would hope there is no-one here who would begrudge a child the items essential for school, and I would be more than happy to see such a bonus targeted at those who genuinely can't afford such items. But for the most part it goes to people who could afford them anyway! Yes back to school time is traditionally tighter than usual, but that's what budgeting is all about. Dare I say that's what having children is all about! (Once more, I speak about those families who could afford the items in any case.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think the threshold could've been lowered. If it makes life that little bit easier for low income earners then I'm all for it.

I honestly do not know how I would've paid for DS's uniform when I was on my own, let alone pay the school fees and everything else. Especially straight after Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with this, but in the meantime school needs have to be made accessible to all. Which is why I think it's a step backward that the bonus may be taken away.
    But is this payment really needed or just nice to have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some, probably nice to have. For others I have no doubt it's needed.

I am sort of hoping this conversation is moot anyway, as I hope there is some miracle that keeps the TA from being our prime minister.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Well, one negative is that even if you did move to Sweden or Denmark, you wouldn't be eligible for all their wonderful benefits.
    Of course, I'm musing as though I was a citizen of one of those countries, not a citizen of Australia.

Anyway, I think I'll start a thread on that later when on pc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

I am sort of hoping this conversation is moot anyway, as I hope there is some miracle that keeps the TA from being our prime minister.
    100% agree!