+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well as far as I know - and I could be wrong - Julie Bishop is the deputy and there isn't any plans to depose her.

So is the opinion behind doors that Joe is a gentle giant?

Sorry - it's obviously an insult, but an illconceived one. Because, Shrek is a gentle giant, gets the beautiful princess to fall in love with him and has loyal friends.

I think if people are looking to insult, they should be more resourceful

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

waitsee  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Anyway - lets get this back on topic - this is a thread about the school bonus, which was brought in for the first time this year instead of the education tax refund to all who get FTB A, as a flat rate. It is not according to how much you spend (which the education tax refund was).

My theory - even if Abbott ceased the school kids bonus, there'd be something else in the pipeline.

Did anyone get upset when they said the education tax refund was going? No, because it was repackaged as something else.
    See I don't see the point of this. It is just as open to abuse of a parent blowing it on non education items as the current bonus. Even if someone was audited for the receipts, something like internet which most people have now, can be used. So someone can just grab their broadband bill for the last year and use that, ywkim?

People struggling need the money at the beginning of the year, not a lump sump at tax time. I just see it as spin doctoring and changing for the sake of changing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-02-2013)

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never said it was good or bad - I never received the education tax refund.

But if people want to say that they need the money at the beginning of the year rather than the middle (or end - lets face it, most of us don't get our tax returns until September or so), then I think a big issue is that people need to be able to budget - the amounts apparently were about the same.

It's like saying - I want more pay at Christmas, because that's when I spend it.

Then again - I have the last installment of my shire rates due this month, I'll start paying my kids school fees, I have just paid two of my professional institution fees, and then there's the normal bills.

I really think a great class in school would be how to budget. I could never understand how my stepkids mum always requested child support early at Christmas, then she'd cry poor the next week. It's all about budgetting. You have 365 days to plan for Christmas, and the same amount of time to plan for your kids returning to school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

But if people want to say that they need the money at the beginning of the year rather than the middle (or end - lets face it, most of us don't get our tax returns until September or so), then I think a big issue is that people need to be able to budget - the amounts apparently were about the same.

It's like saying - I want more pay at Christmas, because that's when I spend it.

Then again - I have the last installment of my shire rates due this month, I'll start paying my kids school fees, I have just paid two of my professional institution fees, and then there's the normal bills.

I really think a great class in school would be how to budget. I could never understand how my stepkids mum always requested child support early at Christmas, then she'd cry poor the next week. It's all about budgetting. You have 365 days to plan for Christmas, and the same amount of time to plan for your kids returning to school
    I have to agree with you 100% about budgeting being taught in school. The flow on effects later on in life would be great!

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:

Yeah I know you didn't say you supported it. Just replying to why I don't

Truth is, I got one payment at tax time before they changed to the current system. We planned very early. My baby started kinder this year and I had most of his stuff bought minus shoes and shorts/trousers in July last year.

But I think the problem with that train of thought - just budget better, can sometimes come from a privileged position of someone (generally speaking in this thread not just you) that has a semi decent amount of disposable income. When you earn ok money it's easy to say well we'll just buy $500 worth of school uniforms in Jan and bank the payment back into savings at tax time.

The reasons why singles and families can't afford to pay upfront and be reimbursed are complex, everyone's story is different. For a single mum $500 is huge. So why not just give her some of the money in Jan? I mean she gets it at tax time anyway, what's the difference? Which is why I suspect it will be cut in favour of tax cuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    And I wanted to add, almost 300 replies and everyone has been on their best behaviour can anyone remember a thread of this topic staying open so long??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Well as far as I know - and I could be wrong - Julie Bishop is the deputy and there isn't any plans to depose her.

So is the opinion behind doors that Joe is a gentle giant?

Sorry - it's obviously an insult, but an illconceived one. Because, Shrek is a gentle giant, gets the beautiful princess to fall in love with him and has loyal friends.

I think if people are looking to insult, they should be more resourceful
    Sorry it's a Labour Party joke, brought about by Paul Keating on radio awhile ago. As I said, ill retract my comment it was only in jest.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    And I wanted to add, almost 300 replies and everyone has been on their best behaviour can anyone remember a thread of this topic staying open so long??
    It's great! I'm loving how even if people disagree and there's a small flare up it's quickly resolved and all continue on.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

I guess the thing with budgeting is that perhaps a lot of people do put money away (if they can) but then they get an unexpected medical bill, car breaks down, fridge dies, they broke up with their partner a few months before. I guess that's where the school kids bonus could come In handy. Or they use it for school stuff they might have more money during the year for stuff like swimming lessons, or school camp.

If you have say 2-3 kids and are on a low income then i would expect getting school stuff like new shoes, bags, uniforms and books would be quite expensive.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

delirium  (04-02-2013),HarvestMoon  (04-02-2013),Stiflers Mom  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do get where you're all coming from - sometimes what we assume about people can be very misleading.

I wonder if I'd be thought to come from a privileged position if I removed that I was married from my signature. If I stated that I am a single mum?