+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Abbott also plans to make child care more affordable and increase the government parental leave which is great

I don't think that the school bonus should only apply to the lower income earners. It should apply to everyone so I think it should be axed to save money.
    But will it really save money? Wouldn't extra pressure be put on charities (that are already struggling) to help low income earners? That sector would then need WAY more funds.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Not that I don't support that, I do. But clearly this isn't about saving the country money. It's about redirecting to middle and high income earners (given 2 people working are going to be more likely to be middle to high than low).

Under the argument you know what kids cost, prepare for it, shouldn't those on PPL plan ahead instead of having the tax payer fund them?? and again I support PPL all the way, I'm just pointing out the inconsistencies here. It seems this isn't about saving tax payers, but wanting the money to go to the rich and not the poor.
    No I agree. I think PPL is a good thing but I'd personally rather it not be increased from 14 to 26 weeks if it means cutting benefits from low income earners. I just wonder if Abbot increases the PPL what essential stuff is he going to have to cut to afford it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    It's worth remembering that for capitalism to succeed there MUST be unemployment and there MUST be an underclass. Capitalism doesn't work if there is 100% employment. For it to function there has to be a class system. (The other big flaw with capitalism - that very few seem to acknowledge - is that it assumes unlimited resources, which obviously just aint the case!) So to the suggestion that "study + hard work = financial wealth", it is just not as simple as that. As a PP pointed out, someone has to fill shelves, clean streets, be a garbo, work in factories, drive taxis, etc.
    I don't think people disagree with you. Some posters would argue they just shouldn't get these benefits.
    Last edited by Sonja; 04-02-2013 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would like to know, if Abbott is going to cut the carbon tax, and supposedly sink a heap of money into education how is he going to bring a surplus he is promising? Where is the money going to come from? I predict it will come from low and middle income earners

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would like to know, if Abbott is going to cut the carbon tax, and supposedly sink a heap of money into education how is he going to bring a surplus he is promising? Where is the money going to come from? I predict it will come from low and middle income earners
    He won't cut the carbon tax. Only a moron would do that. He will tweak it but he'll never cut it.

Wait, hmm maybe a moron would cut it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    He won't cut the carbon tax. Only a moron would do that. He will tweak it but he'll never cut it.

Wait, hmm maybe a moron would cut it.
    Bahahahaha. We are talking about TA remember!

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Tony Abbott (and gillard)is just the face of the party. He solely doesn't make the decisions......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Tony Abbott (and gillard)is just the face of the party. He solely doesn't make the decisions......
    True but I remember too clearly the Howard years when no one in the party would go against anything he decided. I truly hope you are right.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-02-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I hate to say it but I think you are right I don't know how ill stand seeing his face on the news every night esp with Shrek as his deputy... I think it will be time for us to go Os for a year or so.
    I find it somewhat amusing how little it takes for people to start personalising insults at politicians. And my quoted post certainly isn't the only example of that - it's just the one that puzzled me the most.

BTW, I've never heard of Julie Bishop referred to as Shrek

Anyway - lets get this back on topic - this is a thread about the school bonus, which was brought in for the first time this year instead of the education tax refund to all who get FTB A, as a flat rate. It is not according to how much you spend (which the education tax refund was).

My theory - even if Abbott ceased the school kids bonus, there'd be something else in the pipeline.

Did anyone get upset when they said the education tax refund was going? No, because it was repackaged as something else.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I find it somewhat amusing how little it takes for people to start personalising insults at politicians. And my quoted post certainly isn't the only example of that - it's just the one that puzzled me the most.

BTW, I've never heard of Julie Bishop referred to as Shrek
    Sorry ill retract that. I personally know quite a few staffers and a lot of advisors so I have formed an opinion other than what is seen in the media.

I didn't mean Julie I actually think she's quite intelligent. I was referring to Joe Hockey.