+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    That would be right...

The bonus came nowhere near CLOSE to cutting schools costs for my lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    If they remove the bonus then it needs to be claimable on tax, I don't believe in removing the assistance altogether as clearly the cost of schooling, even state schooling, is spiralling.
    Genuine question, what would this change except make parents wait until mid year when half the costs have already had to be paid? Making people go thru tax isn't changing the criteria, the same people would get the same payment. It's just now it's split so families can get their school supplies in Jan before school starts then again mid year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    baby bonus is actually only for the first child now if im not mistaken, its also means tested?
    Does that mean the school bonus is also for the first child?
    FTB isnt cut when your child starts school does it?
    Dont we get enough payments to help raise our kids already?
    I think you get baby bonus for each child but the 2nd and any subsequent children get a reduced rate (not sure if that has come in yet though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is the baby bonus now paid in fortnightly installments? I would presume it is still there to encourage population growth. Surely for a lot of families it would make the adjustment of the expenses of a new family easier.

Don't also forget paid parental leave, which I do not think is means tested - for both mum and dad now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think you get baby bonus for each child but the 2nd and any subsequent children get a reduced rate (not sure if that has come in yet though).
    Correct and it's for babies born from the 1st of July this year

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Is the baby bonus now paid in fortnightly installments? I would presume it is still there to encourage population growth. Surely for a lot of families it would make the adjustment of the expenses of a new family easier.

Don't also forget paid parental leave, which I do not think is means tested - for both mum and dad now.
    I thought it was means tested? I thought baby bonus was also means tested at 150k household income, but I might be wrong.

I'm a bit peeved I've worked fulltime for 12 years and as soon as they bring in paid parental leave, I wind up with a high risk pregnancy which means I've been on bed rest on a drs certificate from 16 weeks and prob won't meet the work test so wont get anything. Rotten luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I usually read these rich/poor arguments but don't get involved. But I just wanted to point out that saying a high income earner works hard isn't the same as saying low income earners don't work hard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That sucks Clementine. But since you aren't earning for 4 months you may get in for the BB? I think you only need to work 4 hours a week for PPL but unsure if that must be for a full year or they average it out?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That sucks Clementine. But since you aren't earning for 4 months you may get in for the BB? I think you only need to work 4 hours a week for PPL but unsure if that must be for a full year or they average it out?
    Yeah I think it's only a few hrs a week but you need to be working 10 of the 13 months to be eligible. I normally earn about 85k but since I've had to take a few months of leave without pay till baby is born, I might scrape in for baby bonus. Doubt it though as DP earnt too much last financial year. Just bad luck really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I thought it was means tested? I thought baby bonus was also means tested at 150k household income, but I might be wrong.

I'm a bit peeved I've worked fulltime for 12 years and as soon as they bring in paid parental leave, I wind up with a high risk pregnancy which means I've been on bed rest on a drs certificate from 16 weeks and prob won't meet the work test so wont get anything. Rotten luck!
    I've always been strongly for paid maternity leave.

You are eligible if:

have received an individual adjusted taxable income of $150 000 or less in the financial year before the date of birth or adoption or date of claim, whichever is earlier, and

(from Central control)