+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We earn 50k and get taxed at around 25% I think. yet someone on $150k gets taxed 40%. Yes they pay more tax, but as a percentage the battlers aren't paying a huge amount less. Only 10-15% less to be exact.
    It sounds like you are getting over taxed? Someone on 50k should only be paying about 16 % ( $3,572 plus 32.5c for every dollar over 37k, current rate).

But yes, those on middle to higher incomes aren't paying a huge proportion more tax.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 03-02-2013 at 22:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    hmmm, he doesn't.... which should mean we get a whopper tax return this year?? thanks for clarifying that. We noticed his tax didn't change when the threshold changed but thought nah we must be wrong lol
    Sorry missed this, hopefully you will if you are being taxed at 25% when it only should be 16%.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Just to check areyou assuming that its only higher income earners that are against this bonus?

Because apparently high income earners are nasty people and don't care about anyone but themselves even though there are anonymous $1m donators to the Perth telethon and other organisations. Not all rich people are nasty and selfish. Where I work there are just as many low income earners that can be just as rude towards us than the higher.

Like I said earlier I've only ever earned up to 40k but I don't get why high income earners get such ridicule. Can someone explain to me just because they earn more they are less of a human?? I couldn't care less and goodluck to them I say!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Because apparently high income earners are nasty people and don't care about anyone but themselves even though there are anonymous $1m donators to the Perth telethon and other organisations. Not all rich people are nasty and selfish. Where I work there are just as many low income earners that can be just as rude towards us than the higher.

Like I said earlier I've only ever earned up to 40k but I don't get why high income earners get such ridicule. Can someone explain to me just because they earn more they are less of a human?? I couldn't care less and goodluck to them I say!!
    I think sometimes it's forgotten too that high income earners have not always been so. Most were poor students like everyone else, then worked entry level jobs like everyone else and just progressed upwards.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    CCR isn't means tested, unless things have changed recently??
    hmm - I think you are right. its CCB that is means tested.

Which is ok as the CCR is capped anyway ... as I said, if you are working and contributing to the economy/paying tax, then I think you should get that rebate, or a tax deduction for child care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I don't necessarily think of a combined income family of $150,000 as being high income. Depending on where one lives cost of living (rent, mortgage, daycare) can be very high. It's not as if those families can afford to pop off to Paris for the weekend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

lones  (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Abbott to axe school bonus if he gets in

I love all these people who still hold the view that labour looks after the working class. Labour has done so much damage to our export and manufacturing industries during their time in office that it's ridiculous. And it's not the head honchos of those industries that are suffering, it's the lower end workers.

I think that parents of school kids should get some money to help out, whether through the tax benefit out direct, even public school is expensive and kids are always a good investment.

The phi is a good thing because it helps to take some pressure off the public system, and even with phi private care is crazily expensive. Although I do agree that prices needlessly went up when it came in.

First home bonus should go, spend the money releasing more low cost land rather than letting it all go through private developers.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't necessarily think of a combined income family of $150,000 as being high income. Depending on where one lives cost of living (rent, mortgage, daycare) can be very high. It's not as if those families can afford to pop off to Paris for the weekend.
    No but according to the government and the average income of households, 150k is high. It's certainly not low, because what would you call low and middle income earners?

No one has called high income earners selfish or nasty, if anything I've so far read low income earners to no not be hard workers or somehow lesser than.
    I went to uni and worked hard before kids, dh worked his way up in construction from a measly paid apprentice, we still don't earn 150k plus because I don't work but its close. We don't struggle and I don't need any benefit, just so you know I'm not calling anyone names or think you people are 'rich' 'nasty' 'greedy'
    But the average family on an average income does struggle and taking away benefits that's a necessity like school is wrong, it will hurt and cost more in the long run.

I asked where you prefer the money saved goes? It's not going on education or services, and are you going to feel the same way about gov spending if they announce tax cuts for high income earners?
    It's almost like people are saying low income earners don't deserve help to meet basic needs and high income earners should have more. ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    It's almost like people are saying low income earners don't deserve help to meet basic needs and high income earners should have more. ?
    Where did anyone say that? A lot people have said they want the school kids bonus to stay because it helps families (especially those on low incomes) pay for school items that might otherwise be a struggle to afford.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Where did anyone say that? A lot people have said they want the school kids bonus to stay because it helps families (especially those on low incomes) pay for school items that might otherwise be a struggle to afford.
    That's what it seems like.
    I have heard high income earners complain plenty over time about their lack of tax breaks and then complain that tax breaks for the poorer is a waste of government money. Just statements of 'rich people work their guts out, work harder, have more stress and pay more tax' To me it sounds like saying high income earners deserve more. It's fine if you need more, but I don't think it's right to also want to take away from others.
    And I'm not talking about you and if you support it, but you asked why I think that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (04-02-2013)