+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Terrified of the MMR vaccine.

It's an irrational fear perhaps? But it's a fear. One that makes me feel ill.
    I'm pro-vax and bubby is up to date.

But I'm dreading the MMR.

I know of one child who we know who reacted violently to it and I think that this has fueled this fear on a subconscious level. I just know that I've been scared of it for a while now and with his next round of shots coming up in two months' time I get jittery just thinking about it.

Is anyone in this position?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has recently had it and it was fine. Reactions are so rare and unlikely. I think there is a lot of hype around this particular vax which is unwarranted and only serves to put this kind of fear into people. Try not to worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Do you know how he reacted violently to it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe do some reading on the likely hood of reactions, compared to the likely hood of complications with Vaccine preventable diseases. That is what I do and every time I read it I go "Oh, right", that makes me feel heaps better. I've got one off the top of my head. Regarding the MMR actually. Severe life threatening reactions from the MMR shot are generally one in a million, but if you catch measles 1 in 4 people will end up in hospital due to complications and 1 in 15 will also get pneumonia.

I had to have my tetanus and whooping cough the other day, because I had injured myself. I was really panicking about it, what if I was the one in a million, what if something goes wrong. It was fine - I promise, I didn't even have any pain at the injection site, no redness, no swelling or anything. It was like it never happened. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think what beebs has said is a very good way of looking at it.

If someone told you that there was a 999,999 / 1,000,000 chance that everything would be fine, then you would probably feel pretty confident about it!

Certainly the risk of getting into your car to go to that appointment would be much higher than that. (And I'm not saying that to worry you - just to say that we all drive every day and rarely question the risk attached to it.)

Have a look at this link, which compares the risks of different vaccines with the risks of getting the disease:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

It actually states that the risk of a serious reaction is LESS than 1 in a million. On the website it states that they are rare enough that we cannot even say that they are caused by the vaccine itself.

In the USA (again from the website above) up to 20% of people who contract measles are hospitalised. In the USA 3 out of every 1000 people with measles will die, and in the developing world that figure is closer to 1 in 100. More than 90% of people who are not immune will contract measles if exposed to it.

There are stats on the website I linked about mumps and rubella too.

I know that you're pro-vax, but I'm providing the info as a way of saying that while I understand you are worried, there is good reason to be MORE worried about not vaccinating! Hope that makes sense

FWIW, I'm pro-vax (as you may have guessed), and I hate taking DD for her jabs. However, she's never reacted to any of them (including MMR), nor seemed bothered by them. The benefits definitely outweigh the costs when it comes to vaccinating.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am passionately pro vax, but still cry when little dd has hers. I dont want to see her in pain and frightened.even for a second and it hurts me to do so, so I cry for a second with her. But the idea of watching her suffer a potentially life threatening illness... You generally have a greater chance of complication from the illness rather than the vax, including MMR.
    I can understand your feeling that way since you know one of the rare few to react to it
    Definitely look at the stats on just how rare such a response is, that may help you. Less than one in a million.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Terrified of the MMR vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I am passionately pro vax, but still cry when little dd has hers. I dont want to see her in pain and frightened.even for a second and it hurts me to do so, so I cry for a second with her. But the idea of watching her suffer a potentially life threatening illness... You generally have a greater chance of complication from the illness rather than the vax, including MMR.
    I can understand your feeling that way since you know one of the rare few to react to it
    Definitely look at the stats on just how rare such a response is, that may help you. Less than one in a million.
    I leave the building when dd has hers

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I leave the building when dd has hers
    Totally understand!

Thanks
    Reviews

It will probably be one of those things that after its done you will wonder what you were worried about.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My step brother was unlucky to be one of those <1:1,000,000 people to have a bad reaction which left him with epilepsy and developmental delays . I was in your position and I chose not to vaccinate my children I just could not bare the thought of my children living his life because of it..even though I know it's much more likely they will catch the disease and suffer complications from it. It's hard when you know someone who got the raw end of the deal in the end I followed my intuition. Good luck with whatever you decide.