+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I bought second hand MCN for DD but wouldn't buy second hand underwear. The difference? A brand new MCN = $30+. Brand new pack of 5 pairs of undies = $10. If MCN weren't so expensive then I would have bought all new.
    As above re price. Having said that, I think there is a big difference between baby bodily fluids and adult's ones (especially women).

I didn't buy any MCN 2nd hand with my son, because I wanted them to last through 2 children and decided new was a better option for that purpose. If I were to need top up numbers of MCN due to expecting twins, I wouldn't have a problem with buying them 2nd hand.

I bought lots of clothing 2nd hand and much of it was barely used for the small baby items. These items are just as likely to have had baby chuck, poo and wee end up on them as MCN, so I don't take issue with them. A sanitising wash does the trick.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Buying Second Hand Cloth Nappies Is Like Buying Second Hand Underwear

I wouldn't use 2nd hand undies, as I would dread the thought of handing my undies on to other people to use. That's just way too personal.
    MCN's, I might with a liner, but probably not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking at second hand mcns at the moment and whilst I haven't bought second hand undies I have had friends give me ones their kids have outgrown and I've borrowed ones when the kids have had accidents. Personally I don't have a problem with it, they all get washed and are clean.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mhc For This Useful Post:

jellybeanicecream  (13-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The MCN stash I am collecting for my baby are all new - I have no desire to buy new ones. I also would not buy secondhand undies.

That said, never say never. If I lived in financial hardship I'm sure I'd get over it.

It does strike me that one of the reason I intend to use cloth this time around is for environmental reasons, so I should really be embracing secondhand MCNs, since new MCNs mean more energy expended in their manufacture, packaging and distribution. But I am shallow and I like them all new and perfect for my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jade24 View Post
    I wouldn't buy either secondhand cloth nappies or underwear (for me or my children). It's just a little too personal for me. I wouldn't be able to move past the fact that others bodily fluids had been all over them.

But I don't care if others do.
    I agree.....

Like buying second hand pads.....ewww(or material that is used in place of pads, like what they used years ago). YKWIM....

I would rather go kicker-less...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done both!

Have heaps of second hand mcns. Nothing a bit of canestan and sunlight can't kill!

Ds1 had an accident while we were at a country market a couple of hours from home. So I went to the local op shop and bought him a pair of pants, undies and socks. The volunteer there promised that everything was well cleaned and it still smelled of washing powder so I believed her. Ds also had plenty of hand me den undies from his cousins.

I don't understand why people are grossed out by it.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    So it seems like that main reason is that there is a general agreeance that adults are considered ickier than babies/toddlers. Thats pretty much what I had assumed
    There is also the difference in cost, quality and fabrics.

I really don't get why people get so uptight about second hand nappies. People have been re-using nappies for hundreds of years. It would have been unthinkable for most to get a new stash of nappies for each baby. My very frugal grandmother would have be shocked and considered it a gross waste of money. My own mother would be dumbfounded and consider it blatant consumerism. As a baby neither I nor my 2 brothers would have ever worn a new terry flat let alone a disposable (we're talking 50s, 60s and 70s).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also it takes a number of washes to get the MCN up to full absorbancy... so by buying second hand you're actually buying a better product... well the prep work has been done for you already

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that there's a huge difference between using between siblings and a strangers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haven't read all of the posts,
    I have bought second hand underwear, at the opp shop, when I found myself in the position of having to buy second hand underwear. No big deal, you do what you have to do.

Do i think that they are the same? No, they are designed with different purposes. 1 catches wee and poo the other is just underwear.

Would i buy second hand MCN's yes, would i buy second hand underwear for myself or kids, yes. There really isn't anything wrong with it in my eyes.