+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Buying Second Hand Cloth Nappies Is Like Buying Second Hand Underwear

Ewwww wee and poo is just as gross to me as other down there juices ( actually kind of grosser as some ladies where liners to protect the knickers- and I don't want to think about guys lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Buying Second Hand Cloth Nappies Is Like Buying Second Hand Underwear

Hmm...I would buy second hand MCN's. As long as they are washed and sanitised...I don't have an issue philosophically with second hand undies...it is just that undies are relatively cheaper than new MCN's...so of course I will buy new ones...more fun!

Besides, I don't need at least 25 pairs of undies to get me through 2 days wear unlike MCN's so again...new undies are more affordable.

For me it is trade-off between cost/hygiene...and I don't think second hand MCN's are unhygienic...give them a hot water wash!

The kitchen sponges we use are likely to be way more concerning...

By the way...we also share cutlery & plates...how is this different? The germs cultivating in the human mouth are pretty horrendous... Detergent only dissolves fat, not germs!

But also...in families we share soap that is rubbed up against people's rudies...we don't ask guests to bring their own soap...or toilet paper...in families we share one roll of toilet paper and we all touch one button on the toilet...it's a slippery slope...a slippery, dirty, stinky slope!!

Thanks OP...have had fun thinking about this one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Albert01; 10-02-2013 at 14:28.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (10-02-2013),Mulva  (10-02-2013),ToonZie  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Buying Second Hand Cloth Nappies Is Like Buying Second Hand Underwear

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    When you go to hospital, do you use their towelling and linen? Lots of fluid goes on them lol.
    I asked DP about this when I was in hospital. He told me they threw out the sheets when I was thinking they washed them because it would be way too expensive. I must have gone through 4 sheets in just a few hours!

Also other things with bodily fluids that get shared, breast pumps, bottles reused between second children. Some people just have different levels of what they are comfortable with.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't buy second hand of either. I think nappies second hand are gross, as they have been soiled in, and undies gross as they also have bodily fluids in there. I have worn close friends or families undies (clean) like my mum or sisters, and would borrow a mcn off the same group of close relos but that's it. I will use my cloth nappies for my next babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    All good. My first question was kind of open to everyone.

Would you accept second hand underwear for you from your friends? Say someone gained alot of weight and didnt fit them anymore but they were in good condition.
    If not, whats the difference in your mind?
    I know this question is a few pages back, but I actually do have undies that were my Mums - she wore them for a little bit and then gained some weight. They're clean and I know my Mum so that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't accept undies from friends, and for my son I would only accept them from good friends or family.

So why are the nappies different? I mean, I bought them online, I guess it's like a PP said, they're so much cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I asked DP about this when I was in hospital. He told me they threw out the sheets when I was thinking they washed them because it would be way too expensive. I must have gone through 4 sheets in just a few hours!
    That sounded a bit odd to me, so I asked my DH about it - he said they do throw them out if they are soiled in blood or other fluids, but they're not thrown out after every patient.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (10-02-2013)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Second hand knickers for a child or second hand nickers for an adult are different for me, pre pubescent sharing of underwear to me seems ok after that point I think it's not, how ever some still borrow or get second hand swim wear which is essentially no different

But another way nappies are different To knickers, I don't know about you but I don't wee or poo in my knickers where as buns we and poo in nappies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would not buy second hand MCNs or second hand underwear. The knowledge that somebody else's poo, wee, period, and sweat has been on the item and would be touching my body or my babies is not very appealing to me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Nearly all DDs MCNs and clothes are second hand. I have a lot of second hand clothing as well. I do not have any second hand undies for the simple fact that they aren't really readily available and the ones in OP shops are either in poor condition or not my style (big grannies lol).
    Pretty much anything that can be given a good ol wash is good to be used in this house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    1- it's normal for my family/cultural background. I got asked if my dd1 had special needs cos she was still in a night nappy at 2. we night TT soon after. It's not routine for children to still be in nappies past 12-18mths in India.

2- it's easy to read babies when they want to poo so just pop them on a potty/toilet. It only takes a week for them to let you know they need to poo in advance. Wees are a tad harder but I just pop dd2 on the toilet hourly and say it's wee time and 8/10 times she wees. she wears a cloth nappy at home/out/car in case I miss her signs or we can't go immediately.

3- It's annoying washing cloth nappies

4- it's hard to argue with a 2yo the need to do wees/poo on a toilet so I'm hoping to get dd2 sorted by 13-18mths before the 'tantrums'.

It's sooooo much easier at this age. We started TT dd1 at 14mths and finished day TT at 18mths and it was much harder.

Anecdotally - my mother swears I was TT by 8mths (no nappy) and my brother by 10mths. My aunt TT her twins by 15mths day/night. My MIL (not Indian) had my DH TT at 18mths and my BIL at 15mths cos she knew more the second time around. I think early TT is referred to as EC.

I don't push my girls to TT - just offer the toilet frequently and praise when it works out. Plus I was fed up with the 'still in nappies' comments.
    Thanks for answering

I just have read medical articles that state otherwise so was curious as to why people do it so early.