+ Reply to Thread
    NanaK is offline I'm surrounded by beautiful boys!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fridge reviews...?

We are looking to get a new fridge and like the look if a Bosch one and an LG one... But I am clueless about how ALL brands preform.

What fridge do you have? What are the pros and cons? What size do you have for your family of how many?

Thanks for your help :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Fridge reviews...?

What style are you looking for? French door? Upside down? We knew we wanted a French door style fridge so we then reviewed only that style and got a Samsung. We found it rated well on review sites, good value for money and perfect size...it's big inside but it's easy to see everything at a glance. It has three drawers which we use to divide up our salad stuff, vegies and fruit and the water dispenser is tall enough to fit even my tall water bottle.

No cons but the next model up has a "defrost drawer". You can regulate the temp and use it to defrost stuff. Bit of a novelty but liked the idea!

We've had our fridge a year and love it more than I think is possible for an appliance lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends on what style you like.

We rent so I didn't want to go too big just in case we don't have a lot of room in the future. We are a family of 5.

I like the freezer at the top style ones and ended up going with an LG which has a thingy through the door to fill your cup with water without opening the fridge. (Its just a jug thingy though and needs to be refilled but perfect for my girls to get a drink themselves. Before that DD#2 dropped and broke our water filter jug twice) I'm happy with our fridge but apart from the water dispenser thingy its just a standard fridge with the vegie drawer and deli/cheese drawer. We have had it 18 months and so far so good.

Because the freezer isn't very big we also got an upright freezer with 4 drawers. Its manual defrost but I can get away with defrosting it once a year.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been told by the electrician who came to fix our air con to not get anything but a Westinghouse and apparently they'll all say the same!

I needed a new fridge as well and went into Harvey Norman and the sales person was showing me the difference between the Asian fridges (Samsung etc) and the difference was astounding! Metal running tracks as opposed to crappy plastic ones, strong plastic shelves as opposed to flimsy easily broken ones, moveable shelves on the doors for more space, Australian made so parts ate cheap and easily sourced, etc!

I just bought a 690L Westinghouse side by side fridge w/ ice and water and love it! We're a family of 3 and it's plenty big enough for one more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We have always had LGs and never had a problem. Our current fridge is actually 5 years old. We are wanting to upgrade very soon but are limited with space. We will be buying a normal fridge but super wide with the water filter thing on the front. Not too fussed with brands this time round as I think they are all pretty good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Fridge reviews...?

I have a fisher and paykel stainless steel, bottom mount fridge. No idea what the size is though.
    I really like it, have had no problems except perhaps stainless steel wasn't the best idea with kids as it has a few scratches.
    There is a really flimsy plastic piece with just as flimsy clips that goes between the fruit and veg crispers and bottom shelf. I think that's more of a sign of the times and of just how cheaply things are made these days.
    PP mentioned westinghouse. I agree this use to be a really good brand. My mother had her first westinghouse fridge for 15 years and the last one i knew was still going strong 12 years later.
    So when i moved out and bought my first fridge i bought a westinghouse. It was nowhere near the same quality of the ones my mother owned. All the plastic tabs that held the door shelves up, snapped off and the same with the plasic tabs for some of the other shelves. So after 4 years i had a fridge with next to no useable shelves. I ended up dumping it when i moved.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did consider going with westinghouse as we had been using my mum's old fridge for years before it finally died. It was at least 22 years old!!

When I looked at new fridges I really couldn't see much difference for the $$ compared to other brands and it wasn't the same type of shelving etc as it used to be years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews

I love LG. we recently upgraded to a bigger fridge, the previous LG I had lasted 10 years and was still going strong and the new one is awesome too.

Edit: We just have a conventional freezer on top style fridge. We are a family of four and it's about 450l from memory. Plenty big enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a Westinghouse 700L side by side fridge. Has been great for us with its size.. Our last fisher and paykell fridge only lasted 4 years before we had to upgrade it so lets hope this one lasts a lot longer!!

NanaK is offline I'm surrounded by beautiful boys!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone, this has been a really big help. We are looking for a double door probably over 500L. Can't wait, we only have a 400L ATM :-D