+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Making friends

My nearly 3yo DS has turned into a bit of a social lite lately and is always asking to make new friends.

he has friends that we regularly see, and he has just started kindy too so that will be perfect for him.

i am curious though as to what you lovely hubbers think of this scenario; when we go to the park he will go up to any kid, any age and introduce himself, ask for their name etc. trouble is doesnt seem like the other kids reciprocate very often.

he will miss that social cue that they are not interested and just keeps trying to play with them.

whats do you think is going on?

how do i teach him that not everyone wants to make friends or play all the time without crushing this confident personality that is emerging?

do you think am i over thinking it as should i just relax?
    Last edited by baby4us; 03-02-2013 at 03:31.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making friends

That's a tough one! I would love my son to be so friendly when he is older.. But then again I don't want to see him rejected and keep pushing for friendship when they aren't keen.
    You could explain to him when someone doesn't really want to talk to just leave them to play on their own and find someone else to play with who wants to talk? Maybe say some kids just like to play by themselves so they might not talk to u but that's ok. Some kids are different?

Just an example because I don't have the experience yet

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

Oopadayz  (03-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making friends

At 3 I wouldn't put to much focus on it, maybe occasionally on the way home from the park mention how he is really good at making friends but not everyone is like this, and sometimes if kids don't respond to find another friend or just do something on his own, you'll probably find as he gets older he will understand social cues more though. It's great that he is social though will make Kindy lots of fun.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making friends

i had a thought overnight that maybe i should teach to ask the other child if they want to play. what do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would explain to him that some people are shy and don't like it when other people follow them around.. try to let him know that when someone wants to play, they will talk back and want to join in. If someone doesn't talk back much, or walks away from you this means they don't want to play and let your son know this is when you move along and find another friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like pisang's take on it, it's 3yr old friendly for him to understand you when you explain that is really good he is so happy and so great at making friends but letting him know some kids just want to be on their own sometimes and don't want to play, or maybe they are shy and don't know how to play back, or there could be a medical issue such as autism as well, my son used to shy away from kids trying to play with him, but he's good with it now.

Id let him do as he's doing, it doesn't seem to effect him negatively does it. It's wonderful he's so open and friendly. I'd just explain some kids don't want to play with other kids or are shy or maybe tired or having a sad day and want to be alone. Adults can be the same too, sometimes adults want to be alone too. It's completely normal and we just say thats ok, move on and find someone else to play or talk with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When he get's a bit older you can also talk about the personal bubble space.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making friends

thanks everyone!