+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Europe with a 2yr old?

Pregnant now, thinking of Europe Sept/Oct 2015 so hatchling will be just over 2.
    Are we crazy???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Europe with a 2yr old?

Not at all. I did a 6 week holiday to Europe with a 2yr 2mt old. Some days were hard and we did lots of kid friendly activities but was a fabulous holiday.

We did Netherlands, Germany, Czech, Austria and Belgium. Booked all hotels and transport in advance but was just organised by ourselves. 2yr old was free in accommodation, transport, just ate our food. Most days she slept at lunch time in her pram so we got a nice lunch. Ipad loaded up with movies was invaliable for our sanity more than anything.

Go for it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

The good thing about traveling with a 2 year old is they are fairly independent, but still free to get into places/accommodation :P
    As PP mentioned having something to entertain them during the 'boring' bits is handy.
    You'll find most kids are well behaved on big holidays as you're constantly doing something, it's not a 'normal' day iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks that's roughly how old hatchling will be, re food was the different food a challenge?

Thanks
    Reviews

Most places will have a side of fries or something, if there is nothing else. This was always good for DD. DS wants a meat dish usually, so say we're trying something local that the kids won't eat, I'll ask the waiter if there is anything the chef can put together as a kids meal, the waiter usually comes back with an option of spag Bol, chicken/fish and chips, (the typical kids meals seem to be international )

My kids are 8 and 2, I now buy a meal for the older one, the younger one still shares, I just ask for a small plate.
    Most 'good' restaurants you'll find are really accommodating.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have to go then for a reason? Children under 2 are much cheaper to fly internationally with! Although you then don't get a seat for them - pros/cons for both.

Thanks
    Reviews

DH is a huge rugby fan so we are hoping to go over for the world cup. even if we just see one or two matches, whilst there we wanted to explore.
    Speaking of flights is it best to do a few stop overs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to Europe for 6 weeks with a 15 month old.

It was great and I have no regrets.

I would get any child that can sit up by themselves their own seat, yes it costs more but it makes for a comfortable trip for everyone.

Accommodation wise, apartments were best as it meant that we could cook when need be and DS could have his naps and we could watch tv/read etc.

Meals are easy, most restaurants will have basic foods that children will eat. It also gives you a chance to introduce new foods, and if you have somewhere with a kitchenette or at least a microwave you can get regular foods in supermarkets.

Have a good pram/stroller but one that is not too wide and can handle a variety of roads, eg many streets are cobbled and can be rough on a pram/stroller.