+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

I can't have a demo till April (other commitments here)
    What are curry's stir frys ect like in it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    I'm also going to a demo this week. But I was considering seeing the thermomix in action then researching the cheaper options (I've heard target has one for $270?)

I am confused by what you said above about browning meat etc though, so do you mean you got the cheaper option as you still cook the meals yourself and you only use it for bases and dough etc?
    Yes.
    I use it for many things, but not curries, casseroles, bolognese, stir frys, etc. I own the thermochef, but I have spent a bit of time using a TM and find it the same. The flavour just doesn't travel through meaty or spicy dishes the same as it does cooked on a stovetop, imo.
    They also chop up the food a bit more, which I don't like. Though the thermochef is worse for this than the TM.

But it is great for whipping up a quick custard, or white sauce or pizza dough. And is a super powerful food processor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know the thermomix lovers will shoot me down but I owned one and didn't enjoy it. There are many, many amazing things this machine can do but those dishes are not things we eat on a regular basis.

My suggestion would be to really think about the style of food you and your family eat. We love food to be bbq, stir fried, grilled etc as we enjoy that flavour. My partner is quite fussy with how things are cooked so that impacted on our use of the machine.

The spag bol type dishes we found were better (for our taste) when cooked on our gas stove, I am not sure why that is. Although I knwo many would disagree!!!!

It made some amaing curry pastes, smoothies and breads. I am sure that the machine has limitless options yet for what WE used it for, I could use a $200 food processor instead.

Anyway, thermo lovers, just my humble opinion, based on our tastes. I know I am in a very small minority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I have a Thermochef and I LOVE it! The only difference between the Thermochef and the Thermomix is the reverse function and about $1000. I've used both and I honestly feel they both cook exactly the same
    You forgot that the Thermochef isn't gearless and the scales are separate

Someone has done a comparison here http://ironchefshellie.com/2011/12/0...-vs-thermomix/
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 03-02-2013 at 13:57.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

Mmmmm see we love stir frys, curry's, steamed salmon, veg, chicken, Risotto
    Love bbq's to but once a week thing like a roast.
    The healthier the better

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    You forgot that the Thermochef isn't gearless and the scales are separate

Someone has done a comparison here http://ironchefshellie.com/2011/12/0...-vs-thermomix/
    How old is this link? As it say u can get it 12months interest free but when I went to a demo u have to pay interest

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only experienced the thermo in my sisters kitchen and yes it is good for some sauces and pastes, I don't like it for cooking. For the money I would get a kenwood with all the bells and whistles, I realise that's a bit apples and oranges though. Also I find that for a full meal with a lunch leftover the size of the jug is quite small.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

See I did think the jug was sm but the amount that comes out is ample for us 2 adults 1 kid with a lunch. We do only eat sm portions tho

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

How many can it feed??? A friend is having a party and after years of hearing people rave about them I thought i'd have a look but we have 5 kids here... Could it prepare a big enough batch of bolonaise or curry for 5 kids and 2 adults??? I normally cook on the stove and do enough for dinner plus lunches for 2 kids and 2 adults.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix???

Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    How many can it feed??? A friend is having a party and after years of hearing people rave about them I thought i'd have a look but we have 5 kids here... Could it prepare a big enough batch of bolonaise or curry for 5 kids and 2 adults??? I normally cook on the stove and do enough for dinner plus lunches for 2 kids and 2 adults.
    Depends how big your servings are and whether you eat sides with your meal. I just use mine for 2 adults, sometimes DH and I can almost finish the whole dish if we don't have anything with it (but that would be a night where we are both starving pigs and haven't made anything to go with it)
    If you have sides like bread or salad then obviously the 'main' meal portion goes further.