+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    Anjalee, I had a spinal and I was up and fairly lucid pretty quickly. I am confused, I thought that a spinal is shorter acting which is why they generally use epidurals during vaginal labours..
    Hrrmm I'm not sure :S I had a spinal and couldn't feel my legs until the next day, it was horrible! It's on my ever growing list of things to ask my ob at my next appointment haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    This is a little off topic, but has anyone had an epidural with their c-section? My spinal knocked me out for too long and ideally this time around I'd like to be moving my legs the same day. Would an epidural help with this?
    I had both an epidural and spinal. The spinal should start to wear off after about 4 hours, the epidural will last as long as they keep topping it up. So yes, an epidural would wear off quicker. Most aneasthetists I've worked with do a combined spinal / epidural for CS. The epidural helps with post off pain relief for the first 12-24 hors post CS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't go for the epi for a c/s. I've heard it can be patchy, where it only works on one side, or even with a continuous line women are more likely to feel it. Don't want to frighten you lol but I would go spinal. I had a spinal for my 2nd c/s and could feel my legs within a few hours. With both my ops I wasn't allowed up until the next morning anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not just for c sections but no one warned me that with subsequent births you get after pains. It was worse than labour.
    And it was worse while breast feeding.
    I really wish I had been warned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh, and I still get burning pain when I get up too quickly in middle of night. Sometimes my scar is itchy as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Oh, and I still get burning pain when I get up too quickly in middle of night. Sometimes my scar is itchy as well.
    I get this too. The itchy thing! Glad I'm not the only one!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    This is a little off topic, but has anyone had an epidural with their c-section? My spinal knocked me out for too long and ideally this time around I'd like to be moving my legs the same day. Would an epidural help with this?
    I did with my second birth and it failed and i felt the OP and had to be knocked out. Woke up without pain relief as well. Epi's are patchy at best.

Ive also had two spinal ceasers and was 100% pain free. No one will ever come near with with a ****ty epi ever again

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't go for the epi for a c/s. I've heard it can be patchy, where it only works on one side, or even with a continuous line women are more likely to feel it. Don't want to frighten you lol but I would go spinal. I had a spinal for my 2nd c/s and could feel my legs within a few hours. With both my ops I wasn't allowed up until the next morning anyway.
    Agreed. I had a spinal and an epidural.

The epidural was so I could self administer pain relief (I had a little button that I could press and the drugs would go in via the epi), unfortunately, the epidural dislodged at some point and so as the block wore off, I had no pain relief at all.

I mentioned my pain to the nurses during the night but they just kept saying to press the button (which had no effect at all). So, basically I was without pain relief from 11pm through until 9am when my husband came in and was helping me get out of bed to go down to the nicu to see our bub (He was a 31 weeker). Dh took one look at my back and was just like "Umm, I'm just going to buzz a nurse". Nurse came in, was horrified and came straight back with two pills that sent me to a happy place.

The moral of this story is to speak up, don't let anyone fob you off.

Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the worst things about my c-section was the unexpected hair removal that I experienced when I was finally able to remove the thick adhesive tape from my scar...yowsers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's funny because I couldn't wait to get out of recovery. I was there for almost 3 hours. My baby wasn't with me and I just wanted to hold her.

ETA - I had to constantly ask if I could get out of there.

same here...second time i was stuck in recovery for over 1 & 1/2 hours already and i ended up lying about being able to 'feel ' down on my waist area when the nurse would check every 15 minutes...as they wouldnt let me go until i could feel again ie the spinal wearing off slowly...so i lied...it sucked...i didnt think to ask for dd to stay as with my first unplanned c section i was back up within 40 minutes...which was weird that the elective would take longer, must be the spinal? ....but even tho i didnt have skin to skin straight away i had no bonding or breastfeeding issues..but i do wish i could have had them in recovery with me as its lonely waiting!

Definately definately take the voltaren pessaries! These really work!!! And if u get the povo pethidine self administered drug for post op pain relief....press that thing HEAPS until it stops dispensing...each time...i didnt and kept waking up the first night every half hour in pain ( way preferred the oxycontin i got first c section, slept like baby for six hours!)

dont freak out if during the op they seem t o be pushing downwards REALLY hard on your bump...both times my kids were wedged way up high and they have to push down on you to get them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast