+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lots of great advice!!

Remember that everyone, every body, surgeon etc is different - so don't get upset if something hurts when it seems like it doesn't hurt most people or your recover seems longer/shorter etc. I was not one of those people up and moving quickly, I was pretty sick from labour and DD was born at 5.30pm, I don't think they had me up out of bed until either the afternoon of the following day or even the day after (as mentioned in other thread I was pretty spaced out on the pethidene drip so details blurry!!). My legs swelled up so badly they had to cut my ID tag off my ankle before it cut off the circulation. I'm one who's catheter did hurt when it came out (plus had some blood) and my canula site calcified thanks to the on-call peth - ouchie!

Expect to be very dependent on the midwives for the first couple of days. Every time bub cries you'll probably need to press the call button and get them to lift them out of the bassinet and over to you. Plus everything else (eg. dropping your mobile on the floor - teehee!). It can feel a bit humiliating having someone change your pad and hold you up in the shower, but it's ok - it's their job and they want to help as much as they can.

I did have one surprise, when breastfeeding your uterus contracts, but for me this tugged on my internal wound quite a lot which really hurt. This probably lasted a couple of weeks.

I know these are some of the 'ugly', but you did ask - on the whole I have such positive memories of my birth experience and have gorgeous photos taken by the midwife in theatre. I think my experience would have been even better if I was in any way prepared - which I wasn't as DD came early and CS was unexpected! Now all I have is a scar that is so pale, fine and low it's actually quite hard to find!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 3, and they were all very different.

I think the biggest thing I have learnt about my birthing experiences is that EVERY birth is different, regardless of it being a vaginal or c-section.

After my 1st was born via emergency c-section it totally threw my view of birthing out the window, I thought it would be painful but easy IYKWIM. I don't think I could have gotten a worse birth, 72 hours of labour, dilated to 9cms, rushed for an emergency c-section, bub born not breathing, bub in special care.

So when I fell with number 2, I really wanted that peaceful birth experience, so I seeked out a VBAC, but ended up with an elective c-section and it was the peaceful birth I asked for, she came straight to me, we breastfed in recovery, hubby never left my side. It really healed alot of the pain from my 1st birth.

When I fell with number 3, I knew an elective was the way to go, I was happy and confident in my decision, I was fully prepared for the operation, I was aware of the risks, the what could happen will happen. So I just went with it..
    Number 3 had more issues then number 2, born with fluid on the lungs and a heart murmur, we spent nearly a week in hospital and he suffered bad jaundice needing light therapy. It was a bit of a shock but the birth itself went wonderfully.

I think looking back now to those moments when I felt guilty for not giving birth naturally it was just stupid of me, I have 3 healthy children who were brought into the world safely and well looked after and truely at the end of the day that is what I go into it for!
    Some things are out of our control, so I chose to embrace my circumstances and now birth has a new meaning for me.

My biggest tips..
    - Go with the flow
    - Hipster undies were best for me they held my dressing in place
    - Get up as soon as you can but don't over-do it either
    - If you need help from the midwives, ask them! That's why they're there

Oh and c-sections have never ever hinded my breastfeeding relationships with my children, I fed all 3 of them (for different periods of time) but none of the reasons I stopped were because of having a c-section.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

Csection was really scary for me too..I had never stayed in hospital before that so found the environment a little offputting but I found my second csection to be so calm and happy! The theatre staff were so nice and were joking with each other and chatting with me..my Gp was my anaethesist and he even hugged me at the end.

Keep up the pain meds and rest as much as you can.
    Also I started training my toddler while pregnant to get on their chair/car seat/lounge on their own or maybe just holding my hand. Also invested in 3 little step stools to assist with this..one at the bathroom sink, toilet, dinner table etc. my toddler could also dress himself then a little too which helped

Bub was placed on my chest almost immediately and breastfed within half an hour of the theatre. My milk came in on day 2 so I was lucky!

Best wishes!
    Last edited by SugarplumMummy; 02-02-2013 at 21:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

Subbing - will write later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put a plastic chair in your shower at home and let the hot water run over you for ages.
    Try not to get into any "high" cars - I found our SUV tough to get in and out of.
    In hospital, if the nurses are late giving you drugs, don't be afraid to press the buzzer - they are so busy they ate sometimes late giving you painkillers, which you don't want.
    If you are given anything with codeine it will constipated you, so have pear/prune juice or ask your doc for advice.
    When home, if a friend comes to visit ask them to bring lunch for both of you, and get them to do "bendy" stuff, like unstacking the dishwasher and hanging out the washing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing! Great thread

Thanks
    Reviews

I thought I would add something that I didn't know about until it happened. Please be aware that after you have a C section and you try for additional babies that you may be at risk of an ectopic scar pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and you may get bad pain in your shoulder from trapped wind. Sounds weird but it is a thing and it really hurts. Ask the nurse for a heat pack or similar to help. I ended up getting DP to bring one from home to chuck in the tearoom microwave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are larger person and have a stomach that hangs down (or for anyone really this could apply) use a hair dryer to dry around the scar as the towel can irritate and if the area is not completely dry you can get a rash or an infection.

Also use this tip after the covering is removed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mopeg View Post
    Oh, and you may get bad pain in your shoulder from trapped wind. Sounds weird but it is a thing and it really hurts. Ask the nurse for a heat pack or similar to help. I ended up getting DP to bring one from home to chuck in the tearoom microwave.
    Peppermint tea also helps with trapped wind.