+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Eat half a bag of prunes each day in the week before the CS. Regardless of if your having CS or VB, you don't want to have to push when you poo. It was the best advice I got, I had no issues.
    Yes that's excellent advice. make sure you are nice and regular bc straining with the wound hurts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

I agree with all advice so far.

I also found I ballooned up with wind about an hour after being in my room. Don't suffer through it, tell someone. They can give you de-gas which is amazing!!

Similarly with going to the toilet, if the prunes haven't helped let them know and they can give you a suppository which will makes things very easy. Although they take effect quickly so be prepared

I found my pregnancy/body pillow helpful when back at home to make side sleeping more comfortable.

Get a pedicure before you go in as it will be awhile before you can bend over and tend to your toes. My feet swelled right up the next day and so I spent a lot of time in thongs and hated looking at my undone toes 😳

Most of all talk to your OB about all your fears/concerns. They will be able to talk you through how and what happens ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

Subbing as I'll need all the help I can get!

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    PPs have given some great advice already all I can think to add is, have the catheter inserted after the spinal, and don't look up in to the big theatre light above you as you can see the reflection of what's happening on the other side of the curtain ( unless of course you want to see)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was scared for my scheduled caesarean, but it wasn't that bad. I freaked myself out watching videos of caesareans on YouTube! It really wasn't THAT bad!

I chose a spinal block over an epidural as the anaesthetist recommended this and said I could be up moving in 4hrs after the op which suited me.

Having the local stings like a b*tch but I already knew it would! After that you don't feel the spinal block going in or the catheter. If you have terrible veins like I do, prepare to be a pin cushion for the canular but I'm pretty used to that!

What irritated me was the blood pressure machine taking my blood pressure at 10min intervals. It was tight and irritating my skin! Within about 10-15mins of being in the operating room, DD was born. We had skin to skin as soon as she was checked over and started BF right away as well. You take no notice of what else is going on once bubs is on your chest! If you are keen to see a bit if the action, the anaesthetist told us to look in the big lights that are over you. I did and you can see what they're doing!

I had DD at 10.15 and by 6pm the same day I was up and having a shower no dramas. Yes there was some pain but not as bad as I thought and I don't have a high pain threshold at all!! I surprised myself and those who know me well. Another good thing about the spinal was it can be taken out after a few hours so you don't have anything hanging out of your back unlike the epidural.

Hourly obs get annoying as you just want to sleep. The fact they come in and check your pad and change while you are numb is a bit awkward but that's what they do so you just go with the flow! Catheter coming out didn't hurt despite what other people told me!

I had read moving around is good for the healing process so I was determined not to just stay in the bed all the time.

I had 2 midwives watch me take a tablet while I was showering as they couldn't wait. That was an experience. DH found that quite amusing!

I had pretty bad constipation which is common. Coloxyl helped but don't make the mistake like I did one night by taking some coloxyl WITH Senna as this gave bubs diarrhoea from my breast milk. I felt really bad for making that mistake! Suppositories are great if you don't mind using them.

Best bits of advice I got that I can pass on:
    - buy high waisted granny undies. Best and less has them cheap. I bought 2 lots of 4 for $10. I threw them away when I no longer needed them.
    - make sure whatever you wash your body with won't dry your skin as this will irritate your healing wound/scar. I used QV wash which was recommended to me. I'm still using it now 9wks later!
    - take nighties rather than shorts or pants as your pad gets changed while you are numb and also your wound is checked regularly.
    - put a pad against your wound once they take the covering off it. This will help keep it dry.

Make sure you keep your wound clean and dry it properly. I used Viva paper towel rather than the actual towel I used to dry myself. I found this worked well for me but I would'nt recommend using cheap paper towel! I never got an infection so I most have been doing something right!

I had my caeserean at RBWH. I was in hospital for 4 days however I could have gone home earlier but 2 days were the weekend and there was no one to check and discharge us till the Monday.

Think I've covered most of it without writing a novel. On the iphone so keeping it short somewhat!

But if anyone has ANY questions. I'm happy to talk and share anything more I can
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 02-02-2013 at 13:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I'm a theatre nurse and have delivered literally hundreds of babies via CS and have had 3 of my own. Try not to be scared, all theatre staff love doing CS so the mood in there is usually pretty fun, generally the music is on. My suggestions would be
    - make sure your partner has had breakfast especially if your CS is early in the morning. It's amazing how many partners (men) pass out in theatre as they have a mask on, which most people aren't used to, for some reason a good breakfast helps.
    - ask as many questions as you like from everyone in theatre, if your not sure what / why they're doing something just ask.
    - if your lucky the baby can stay with you the entire time thru theatre and recovery - depends on staffing and labour ward. They do try their best.
    - don't be scared to do a little bit of comp feeding in the first few days waiting, I feel it will make you more successful with long term BF
    - enjoy the drugs, they give them for a reason, call the nurse for assistance to pick up baby
    - get granny undies, but get the ones that are ' support, suck your belly in' type. The extra support is great for your tummy muscles and also supporting the scar area.
    - drink loads of fluids before they take out the catheter the next morning, easier to pee.
    - get and move slowly as soon as they allow you to.

Any questions just Ask.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

cam11  (08-08-2013),Falkor  (09-05-2013),αληθη  (01-05-2013),Maybelline  (01-05-2013),mummakat  (02-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, I forgot to mention one - and it might fall into the TMI category but....

They normally give you a painkiller suppository after the c/s. When you first go to the loo, you might find some of the suppository comes out - I think it's like the capsule shell, and maybe some of the stuff it's packed with.

So when I first went for a bowel movement, I was freaked out by what had come out! It wasn't until I told a midwife that she said it was just the suppository - no one had warned me about that.

Gross, I know...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

They normally give you a painkiller suppository after the c/s. When you first go to the loo, you might find some of the suppository comes out - I think it's like the capsule shell, and maybe some of the stuff it's packed with.

So when I first went for a bowel movement, I was freaked out by what had come out! It wasn't until I told a midwife that she said it was just the suppository - no one had warned me about that.

Gross, I know...
    I never had this. Would've helped me! I know for next time

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

Gross, I know...
    I have had 1 x emergency with an epidural and most recently an 'elective' with a spinal - not sure which id prefer to be honest! In relation to the spinal and C section, Everything Pps have said and;

The IV with fluid they give you prior to the CS can be a bit painful and can make your arm really sore and cold - ask for a warm towel to wrap around it - it helps.

I was not prepared to feel anything after the local when having my spinal, HOWEVER my anesthetist hit a superficial nerve when doing the spinal so it was a bit uncomfortable for a few seconds. Oh and they usually tip the bed so your head is lower than your feet to spread the drugs which feels a bit weird.

You might also puff up with excess fluid afterwards - esp in the legs and ankles wear the compression stockings they help heaps - and it reduces the likelihood of clots when combined with movement (circle ankles in bed etc like you are on a plane) if you can't get up as regularly as you'd like

Voltaren suppositories are ACE! yes they have an oily residue but I found these the BEST form of pain relief!! Give me one anyday - I ended up doing my own from day2... Eww!

If your a first time mum, and plan on BF - use the call button for the mw every time bub wants to feed in order check the latch - it will potentially save you nipple damage :-)

I was wheeled into theatre, the bub was out in less than 10 mins from starting - 15-20 minutes of stitches and staples and i was in recovery.

The recovery from my section this time was a LOT easier than the first time.

Good luck!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I may repeat some things, but from my own experience:

With your meeting with the anesthetist before the CS, request that your catheter be put in after your spinal. You won't feel it.

The sensation a spinal gives you is crazy.. you can feel yourself being poked and prodded, but there is no pain association. They tested me with an ice cube.. I could feel the pressure of it, but it wasn't cold. Weird.

Granny undies annoyed me. I used my normal bikini briefs like others said and just used gauze to cover my wound.

In hospital, make use of their lifty beds. Especially to get baby out of the crib. Raise the bed up to max height so you are above the crib- much easier on you.

Milk may take longer to come in- but it's ok. I think mine came in on day 5 or 6.. so yes, longer. Just knowing that would have helped my state of mind.

If they offer you injections for the pain, take them. The actual injection hurts, but the stuff they use is magic! I was also given panadol and voltaren, and it was a magical combination.

It is awkward having the spinal- I was asked to hunch over a pillow whilst sitting on the side of the gurney. That is obviously difficult to do when very pregnant. I was terrified of something going wrong, but the man whose job it was to hold my shoulders steady was very funny and put me at ease. They do this all the time, so just relax and go with the flow.

We can put a man on the moon, but they will still use a bandage to throw over your head and tie behind you to help keep your tummy open lmao. It was hilarious.. you're laying on your back and you see the roll go flying... quite the funny moment, but oh so not technical at all! Look out for it