+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

There has been a lot of threads about different advice of c-sections and I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread where people can share their stories, tips and advice on anything c-section related to us Mums about to go under the knife and not knowing what to expect.

I'm fine to admit I'm really scared about having a caesarean.
    I'm scared ill be in so much pain I won't cope, I'm scared about not having skin to skin, not being able to BF straight away, how I'll cope with a active 4 year old but MOSTLY I'm so scared of having a VB again!! that's why this is the right choice for me... I hope

So please ladies share all your wisdom with us.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    * get moving as soon as you can
    * use the pain relief you are offered
    * once home don't over do it. I've found a good indication is your lochia. If it goes from pink to bright red then that's a sign you need to rest a bit.
    * Have lots of granny undies to go over the cut
    * If people offer to help with meals, baby sitting the kids, take it
    * Diluted tea tree oil is fantastic once the cut has fused and it's getting weepy or sore.
    * Have a birth plan if you have certain wishes
    * Remember that milk can come in late with a c/s, be patient
    * You are going to be sore for a while. C/s is no walk in the park so be prepared to be sore for at least a month, especially when getting out of bed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (01-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Ceasarians- the good, bad and ugly. what should you know before going under the knife

I didn't realise just how sore I would be when I first got up...trying to get up out of bed for the first time for me was agonising. It took me ages and I needed both the nurse and DH to help me. I don't know if this was due to the extra time I had to spend in bed (due to a PPH and needing blood transfusions) or if this is normal..but wow! And then going into the bathroom and having to sit myself down on the toilet...that hurt even worse. I think that was the lowest point of my recovery...that I needed DH and the nurse to help me sit down on the toilet. I was so embarrassed, in pain and in tears. This was something I DID NOT expect.

Once I was up and started moving around it was a lot better. Try and do lots of little walks around the hospital corridors, but definitely don't over exert yourself.

Keep on top of the pain relief...don't try and be a hero and go without! If you are sore...take it!!!

Granny panties as gross as they are, were the best piece of advice I was given! I felt like the protected my wound a little and gave me a bit more support.

When you get home don't over do it. I tried to do way too much a few days after I got home and this was such a bad idea! The pain came back pretty bad and my bleeding got heavier. Definitely worth sticking to light duties and let others help as much as they can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Waterlily

i fought really hard to avoid a c-section when my baby was breach, but to no avail. And you know what? It was about the most wonderful experience of my life. It wasn't the scary surgical environment I expected - the doctors and nurses were joking and chatting, a midwife took photos, think we even had music. We both cried and it was emotional and moving and very special.

In terms of "tips"...well they guide you through it mostly. Make sure you've got some big granny undies for after that won't tub your scar.

The spinal I found not too bad - I had more hassles with the cannula in my wrist. When you start going numb, just relax and smile...it's a weird sensation, like being on a bouncy castle turned this way and that, but I found it funny really.

Don't forget a camera!

You can usually have cuddles almost immediately, and you may very well get to take your baby to recovery. Depends on how healthy your baby is. I was all worried about skin to skin, but they opened my gown at the top as we lay there and we had that, right in the theatre.

i didn't find recovery all that bad. The hardest time was after surgery when I couldn't get up and needed to try and lift my baby from his crib in with me for a feed. My advice is don't hesitate to ring the bell for help.

If you hold a towel or something to your scar when getting up or coughing it seems to help.

Keep taking your meds even if you feel fine.

I expected a lot of pain, having had abdominal surgery before...but it was really much better than I expected. After 7pm surgery, I was walking around early the next morning and honestly feet better than I did when I had stitches after a VB.

Hope that helps.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (01-05-2013),JessyJ  (02-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Listen to the physio when they tell you how to get out of bed. Do the roll, it helps so much! I also raised my bed up so I could slide off and down rather than pushing up. Found that helped a lot. Then lowered a bit to get back in. And hold yourself while you do it for a bit of extra support.

As PP said, get up and get moving as soon as you can, but don't overdo it. Don't reach. Don't vacuum or anything like it until you are ready. Build up slowly to doing all the things you usually do around the house.

You should still be able to have skin to skin. I did both times.

The stuff they put on your back before the spinal is FREEZING so brace yourself!!

Take the drugs. Don't be a hero.

If you have an older child that needs/wants to be picked up, spend some months training them to come and sit instead of being picked up from standing. Then they are not jut suddenly expected to understand why they can't be picked up and won't blame the baby or get jealous.

Granny undies for sure, and a pad is good for covering/protecting the wound.

And be gentle when doing your first No 2 as that can hurt a bit.

We all have different experiences, but I've had 2. One emergency and one elective. Second was much calmer, but I healed well both times. Most of all, good luck and enjoy your baby!
    Last edited by Californication; 02-02-2013 at 11:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had the same fears as you OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay for me I found granny undies to uncomfortable so I wore my regular undies and put a non adhesive dressing over the incision (looks just like gauze). After about 1 week or so I didn't need it anymore.

Take the pain killers on time and don't let it go over the 4 or 6 hourly depending on what you are on. By day 3 it was just panadol and nurophern for me.

Roll onto your side and use your arms to push into sitting position on the edge of the bed. Wriggle to the edge and use your knees to get you up then, slowly straighten your body.

When you get out of bed first time make sure it is about 3/4-hour after you have had some pain killers so they are working.

If you are in too much pain say something, don't just grin and bear it.

If you can have a shot of morphine down your spinal.....take it! It was the best out of my two c-sections.

When I had my second my oldest would sit next to me and cuddle. If she needed help getting dressed she would stand on her bed (she was 3).

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had a cs under general at 25 weeks and hasn't done any antenatal classes and was horrendously underprepared. However, this meant I listened intently to the midwives, physios, drs etc and I recovered really well.

- As pp said, listen to the physios, do the roll!
    - use the adjustable lift functions on the bed as much as possible, including height
    - take all the pain relief you can get, especially in the first 48 hours
    - don't refuse the panandol, it seemed silly to me to take it for such a serious thing, but it does help!
    - get up and moving as soon as possible, but nice steady walking only no lifting, weight bearing, stretching etc
    - in a week or two when you're feeling a lot better, don't overdo it! It's tempting, but the one day I did, I was very sore the next morning
    - agree with pp on regular undies with dry gauze padding over wound, just tucked into the undies, worked a treat for me, was very comfortable
    - I lived in yoga pants, those trackies with a high rollable waist, brilliant.
    - watch for ingrowns as the hair grows back and heals (depending on where the incision is)

Thanks
    Reviews
    * Maternity pad over the scar to cushion it.

* When you stand up for the first time, make sure you stand up fully straight.

* If you can, wax/ remove any hair in that area yourself before going in (otherwise they shave you - and I don't like shaving in that area).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Eat half a bag of prunes each day in the week before the CS. Regardless of if your having CS or VB, you don't want to have to push when you poo. It was the best advice I got, I had no issues.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (01-05-2013),Lauzy83  (02-02-2013),Maybelline  (01-05-2013)