+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change surname, very confusing! Need advise!

My DH asked to change my surname to his, so we all have same surnames as our kiddies. I changed my maiden name with his in my driving license with no problem.

But when I wanted to change it in my passport (I still use passport from my original country) they aren't allowed me to change my maiden name, it should be the same as my birth certificate. They can only add my DH surname. My name is already long and adding 2 surname become very long *sigh

Now the problem, I have different surname in passport (with my maiden name & DH surname) & driving license (only DH surname). I personally want to keep my DH surname only. If I have to combine it with my maiden name, it would be very long and weird. But Im afraid if I will have a problem in the future.

Now Im very confusing, need your advice what do you think I should do.

Should I change my surname in my driver license or not (to be the same as passport)?
    Has anyone experience to have different surname? Do you have problem with that?

Please help me....Im kinda stuck to follow up change my surname to other (bank, medicare, insurance, etc etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Change surname, very confusing! Need advise!

Will they allow you to change it if you show them your marriage certificate??

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can change your name on a passport after marriage. You just need the 'official' marriage certificate from BDM rather than the one you got at the ceremony.

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Req...eMarriage.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a similar problem. The easiest thing to do is change your name by deed poll to what you want. They will then send you an updated birth certificate and u can use that to change your passport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

So you're married right?
    In that case you need to lodge an application for a new passport, you'll need the new pictures, get it all signed etc but if you do it within 12mths of getting married its free as it'll be just a change of name - if you do it after it'll be a whole new passport so will incur the fee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you an Aussie citizen? If so, you could apply for an Australian passport in your married name, so long as you have the marriage certificate. What country is your current passport? I know I was able to change my British one to my married name with an Australian marriage certificate.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    A lot of countries don't allow people to remove their maiden name (as I read that it isn't an Australian passport!) Changing your surname after marriage is simply common law, which not all countries recogonise the same.... It is ok for it to be different to your drivers licence and should have little impact on day to day life.
    That's how I read it too - not an Australian passport.

OP I would leave your passport as is if by law you can't change it obviously. But I'd still change your name on everything else if that's what you and DH would prefer. You don't use your passport in everyday life, whereas you do other the things.

I would just always remember to book overseas travel in your maiden name, so you don't have to take other documents to how proof of marriage etc Just continue traveling under that name and you should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh I misunderstood.

Ignore me OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I use both my maiden and married names. In Australia you are legally entitled to keep using both. My Aus passport is in my married name, and my OS passport is in my maiden name. It's actually really handy to have photo ID in both names for anything that ends up staying in your maiden name (ie. house deeds, old super or bank accounts).
    Though I'm sure it would be a hassle if you only had one passport...

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciated it.

To answer some questions, Im PR not Australian citizen. Im married and already gave them my married certificate. But in my overseas passport, they still can't remove my maiden name, they can only add my husband surname, I found it is a bit strange. They simply said it's the rule without much help.

Being me sometimes over worried, I worried whether the differences with name with cause problem in the future.

Maybe a silly thought like What happen if the immigration check that I have a different name? Im SAHM atm but plan to work someday. Are they going to check my passport during an interview? How about bank, is it ok to have a different name with passport? etc etc

Jellyfishie - unfortunately my maiden name is a long and unusual name that need to spell. And it can't match it with DH surname