+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default ? changes to paid government maternity leave

Now I haven't found anything online anywhere about alleged changes to the maternity leave scheme but was talking with one of the girls at work last night who is 17 weeks PG and really confused. She said that the government is changing it in July so that you only get 12 weeks and that there are other changes as well.

AS i said have found nothing to back this up but I'm not the PG one yet. Considering not TTC till April till after my wedding I'd really like to know that this person has made a mistake and the pay will be the same amount. Otherwise I've wasted all my time paying taxes to help out all my friends with baby bonus's and Maternity leave and I wont be able to afford much time off at all after a wedding and building a new house.

Hope I have not confused anyone who is willing to read this, Have just come off a 12 hr nightshift and need sleep. I know if I go to bed and don't post this now I will have forgotten in about 6 hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Can't say that I've heard this anywhere but it does make me worry as I'm 13 weeks pregnant. I won't be entitled to mat leave from my employer (have been perm part time for over 12 months bye have been on contracts that keep getting extended). Please keep us posted to what you find out.

Thanks
    Reviews

The only change I'm aware of is to the Baby Bonus, which reduces for subsequent children after July 1st- the logic being that you have already set up your home for a baby the first time around so don't need as much.

It still doesn't affect first time mums and no mention of it affecting PPL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    The only change I'm aware of is to the Baby Bonus, which reduces for subsequent children after July 1st- the logic being that you have already set up your home for a baby the first time around so don't need as much.

It still doesn't affect first time mums and no mention of it affecting PPL.
    This is my understanding too

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it drops with subsequent babies You should still get the full rate for your first if your unsure give centrelink a call or have a look at the human services website. I would say calling would be best tho, actually having someone talk you thru it is always much more helpful than trying to find it online

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies. So relieved to hear that they are not reducing the PPL. I can understand reducing the baby bonus for subsequent children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys, I thought it was only the baby bonus which we earn too much for anyway and the ppl is a much better alternative. I did question her whether it was the baby bonus but she said no, maybe she was a little confused. I'd prefer to be able to take a whole year off but 6 months at least would be much better then only a few.

Thanks
    Reviews

TBH I doubt that the govt will make any changes to PPL this financial year coming as it's too close to the election whereas the BB was announced last year.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wobblermummy View Post
    thanks guys, I thought it was only the baby bonus which we earn too much for anyway and the ppl is a much better alternative. I did question her whether it was the baby bonus but she said no, maybe she was a little confused. I'd prefer to be able to take a whole year off but 6 months at least would be much better then only a few.
    PPL is 18 weeks at minimum wage which works out to under $11 000. Just making sure you have looked at the details on the human services website as your post sounds like you think it is going to be 6 months? And it will presumably be a big difference to your regular pay if you earn too much for BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats what i have read everywhere 18 weeks, was just checking that was current. I already get 10 weeks from work on top of the 28wks so that is my 6 months. ALthough you must be out of workforce from 34 weeks, with luck I'll have save up some holiday leave as well to add on to that first.