+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Food sensitivity breastfed bub

How do u tell if bub has a sensitivity to something in your diet?

I spoke to the ABA the other day after DS became really unsettled and his poo changed to bright green and slimy. She suggested it might be a food sensitivity but how will I know and how do I go about eliminating things from my diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Take out the usual culprits - dairy, wheat, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, soft drinks (any acidic or gas causing foods, curry etc). Eat really bland for a week and then introduce food back one at a time and look for a reaction.
    In my experience, intolerance to foods via Breastmilk is rare. I would be looking at a foremilk/hind milk imbalance - try feeding for longer periods on one breast so bub gets lots of fatty hind milk before switching. My DD1 had poo like that, the ABA lady told me about the foremilk probably being the culprit and she was right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Has the poo always been bright green and slimy? Or was it a once off? Was there lots of mucous in it too?

Mucousy green poo that hangs around for a long time usually indicates a lactose intolerance as long as bub doesn't have a cold.

Occ green poos are really normal in a bf bub as it sometimes shows an increase in foremilk. Try block feeding bub - 3-4hrs on one side for all feeds to get the hind milk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Has the poo always been bright green and slimy? Or was it a once off? Was there lots of mucous in it too?

Mucousy green poo that hangs around for a long time usually indicates a lactose intolerance as long as bub doesn't have a cold.

Occ green poos are really normal in a bf bub as it sometimes shows an increase in foremilk. Try block feeding bub - 3-4hrs on one side for all feeds to get the hind milk.
    It's been happening for the last week. Last one was yellowy green in colour and consistency of water but shiny and slimy. I'm more concerned that he just seems so uncomfortable

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Food sensitivity breastfed bub

My LO had normal yellow poos and then all of a sudden they went green foamy and explosive, it started to give her really bad nappy rash, like it was burning her bottom, the CHN said try taking probiotics, and see what happens, her poos went back ti normal, if i miss one day of the probiotics, he poo goes back to being green. Apparently its called lactose over load. I also feed her from one breast each feed, it makes me look uneven, but its working for her. I've been on probiotics for 2 months now with no problems :-)
    I hope your LO gets better soon, its horrible seeing them in pain and you can't do anything to help them.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by carleena View Post
    It's been happening for the last week. Last one was yellowy green in colour and consistency of water but shiny and slimy. I'm more concerned that he just seems so uncomfortable
    How old is your bub? Sounds like a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. As PP said - try a probiotic or eat yoghurt. Block feed your bub for a few days.

My girls always had green poos during growth spurts as they would feed like crazy but would settle down a week later.

Also define uncomfortable? Crunched up legs? Try bicycling legs and clockwise rubbing on tummy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your help ladies!

He'll be 6 weeks old on Monday. By uncomfortable I mean grizzly, grunting, legs pulled up, never satisfied etc.

I'm block feeding today so will see how that goes and will try a probiotic too.

Thanks
    Reviews

6 wks is a major growth spurts and im guessing your bin is feeding all the time upsetting the foremilk/hindmilk balance. This is also when your supply settles down so let down is reduced. Bubba is probably not happy that milk has to be worked for and not free flowing into his mouth.

Drink lots of water and block feed. It should improve in 3-5 days. Just keep offering boob for every squawk.

Good luck