+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default **Vent** Why must rent be so expensive & hard to get :(

Me and dp are looking for a rental... I can't not believe how much the prices have increased, it's insane!

Before dd arrived we were renting and paying 280pw for a 3x1 house, with double garage and pet friendly. This was our first rental and and our first application (must of got lucky!)

Now looking at houses, there are nothing in our price range in the areas we want I have lost count of how many we have applied for, all unsuccessful. (Nothing wrong with us, got a great reference, just not being chosen )

The last house we viewed and applied for was awful... 3x1, So dirty and old, toilet is attached to the outside of the house, no garden or grass, just that messy grey sand... And they were asking $400pw!

In 2.5 ish years I just can not believe how much the rent has increased and the demand too!

Some houses have had 20+ people at viewings!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It must be tough, I feel for you.
    We live in a 2x1 apartment and the one below us recently went for rent, advertised for $420-460 (what are you supposed to do, put in a bid??) and there would have been 40 people at the open. I couldn't get a parking bay on my own street when it was open! The market must be so competitive.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    It must be tough, I feel for you.
    We live in a 2x1 apartment and the one below us recently went for rent, advertised for $420-460 (what are you supposed to do, put in a bid??) and there would have been 40 people at the open. I couldn't get a parking bay on my own street when it was open! The market must be so competitive.
    Thanks It's just so frustrating especially when they leave the price open like that!

We have almost been accepted for several applications, but have been asked to pay more because the other applicant has put there willing to pay more $$ per week.
    In some cases upto $100 more than the advertised price... And of course the owner is going to choose them lol.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It really is insane, isnt it?
    DP and I have gotten lucky in that we started renting my brothers house off him a year ago so we can have our pets and no inspections etc. but before that we bounced from rental to rental and every time it just got harder and harder to find a place and we (like you) wouldnt get picked. So frustrating, isnt it?

Can I ask out of curiosity what state you are in? We are in WA and its just bullplop how much the houses are now.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find, and get, a lovely home soon that doesnt cost the earth

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    It really is insane, isnt it?
    DP and I have gotten lucky in that we started renting my brothers house off him a year ago so we can have our pets and no inspections etc. but before that we bounced from rental to rental and every time it just got harder and harder to find a place and we (like you) wouldnt get picked. So frustrating, isnt it?

Can I ask out of curiosity what state you are in? We are in WA and its just bullplop how much the houses are now.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find, and get, a lovely home soon that doesnt cost the earth
    I'm in WA too!
    Thanks I hope so too (tbh I'll take any house now)

We are trying to save up to buy a house, I know several people who are using them new companies and schemes to get out of renting and they only pay like $400 pw for mortgage repayments... IMO I'd much rather be paying my own mortgage than someone else's lol

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly, I thought you might be in WA

DP and I would love to own just so we dont have to deal with renting crap anymore but we like (and want) the older style houses. The house we live in now is only 2yrs old but we just prefer older style houses. Neither of us want a newer built house.....unfortunately the old houses seem to be the more expensive ones! Go figure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We pay $360 p/w for a 3 bdrm 1 bath with single carport rental in Townsville. Not too suprised in brisbane we were paying $325 for a 4 bdrm 2 bath double lockup.
    Mayborough was the best for price town is slightly dying which is the only downfall but for a 3 bdrm 1 bath lockup we were paying $225.

We've always had no issue with finding a rental til we moved to townsville it took us 22 applications til we got one. Just gotta be persistant. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews

I've never understood how a roof over our heads is a necessity and yet there are probably 80% or more of people who cannot afford to buy a place of their own without the banks help (or some other financial institution)

It seems ridiculous to me

I haven't rented in about 4 years OP but I could only suggest renting in a cheaper area / getting a smaller place / renting one that's a bit older etc
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

We couldn't get a house either. I'm in nsw. There were 5 of us living in a 2 bed with sunroom which we used as a third bedder. The current real estate we were renting through wouldn't even short list us for a property. We went for the house we are in now 3 x2. For 370 $ 100 more than we were paying and the agent knew us and put us straight in. The rental market sucks. When the major highway upgrade was going on the workmen would offer $100per person for a rental that was $300 they offered $500 and there was nothing around. Unfortunatly it's a mugs game and for us it was more who we knew than references and how much we could afford I wish you the best of luck xxx

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I really understand what you're going through.

Going to viewings in Melbourne was so stressful because 50-60 people or more would show up at each viewing and they'd have at least 3 viewings before even making a decision and at least half of those people were financially able to offer even twice as much as what the owner had advertised for. Quite often we'd see how many people were waiting and the BMWs and Audis that they were rocking up in and just turn around and leave before we'd even seen the property because we knew there was no hope . And this was before we'd even had DS and we were both earning good money!

I'm in the enviable position now where I'm pretty much guaranteed a rental of a certain size and quality no matter where work shifts me to, and that's with kids and pets in the equation. I don't miss the rental rat race in the slightest and I really sympathise with people that are stuck in it.
    People say "Buy a house! It costs just as much as rent money!" which is all well and good but how do you afford to pay rent AND save that much for a house at the same time? It's literally impossible for a lot of people.