+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Your c section: tips for recovery

My top tips for c-section recovery:

- granny undies are your friend, go buy some. Dh and I laughed like hyenas when we bought mine.
    - a big button down nightie or 2 is also very helpful.
    -get up a soon as they let you and walk around, don't slouch or it will tighten your scar.
    -put a pad over your cut
    -have a supply of juices like pear and prune juice and have 1 or 2 glasses a day, you have to poo and you may as well make it as easy as possible.
    -keep on to of pain relief, so much harder to get it under control otherwise.

I didn't have morphine in my spinal, they actually injected extra doses of local anaesthetic into the uterus whilst my spinal was still active. My pain relief was panadol and ibuprofen alternated 2 hourly, and endone as needed. I think I only had 4 doses of endone all up.

Enjoy it, is still the birth of your baby and it's a beautiful thing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Waterlilly - I'm sure you've already done this, but make sure your medical team know (and have it well documented) that you cannot have morphine derivatives. I had a friend who reacted very badly to her spinal - probably because she can't have morphine etc (was in another country so not all clear exactly). I believe you will need to have an epidural as they use a different drug.

I was on a Pethidene drip that I could self-administer every 15 mins and I hated it! They had me so scared about how bad the pain would be if I didn't press the dosing button as soon as it would let me, so I was constantly taking it and can barely remember those first days. Also the pain relief wasn't constant, so at about the 12min mark I could feel it wearing off and be feeling pain until I could dose again. It also meant if I got to sleep, I would wake up after 20 mins due to the pain, need to re-administer and try to get back to sleep.

I was so scared when they finally put me onto panadol that it would not be enough but it was SO MUCH better. It meant that the edge was taken off the pain all the time - they also overlapped with another drug (not codeine based - my head was way to clear for it to have been that) probably an ibuprofen or anti-inflam. So please don't worry about being unable to have the 'normal' pain relief.

OP - my discharge papers from my hospital included a note that said drive when ready and prefereably no long trips until 6 weeks. I had to take my mum back to the airport at about 10 days (1hr 15m drive) - it was do-able but I was sooooo tired after. I was making short trips after a couple of days out of hospital - driving was easier than walking for me! lol

I agree with PP to stay in hospital as long as they let you, especially if this is your 1st. Enjoy the room service and being able to throw soiled singlets into their washing basket!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your c section: tips for recovery

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Oh thank you. I can't take panadine forte either haha. Lost cause..

Can I ask what your pain threshold is like?
    They might give u endone or something else then. First time round I had capadex but that is since off the market. My pain threshold is quite high but honestly by the end of day 2 I couldn't feel much more than a slight burn and now 6 weeks on I feel better than pre-pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I will be ordering lite n easy for first few weeks as I have a crap load of weight to lose

All these tips are great! I'm just scared about leaving the house we live in a valley and just our drive way I'm struggling to walk up pregnant let alone with a huge cut in my stomach!! Could any of you baby wear when you had your c section? I was going to attempt this?

I am okay with pain but ill still ask for relief! I may just stay at mums first couple weeks whiledp is at work *freaking out*
    Everyone's different, but I found it much easier moving around after the c-section than I did at the end of the pregnancy!

It's not a huge cut at all - mine is just a couple of inches, and it's in the bikini line (below the hair line) rather than in the stomach. So that area doesn't really stretch or move around so much when you move!

I didn't do babywearing in general, but I did wear the Baby Bjorn with DD in it a few times when she was a newborn. I had no problem doing this, but I just never got in to that as a way of carrying her around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thank you all! I'm aiming for a positive experience and this was elective so I'm going in excited and prepared for a good experience if that sounds silly I don't know!

Everyone around me is being negative and I'm dismissing them this is MY choice so they can P!$$ off!

How long did it take to exercise again roughly? I mean just walking too I'm no superwoman haha!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I waited for the 6 week check up before doing any 'proper' fast paced walking, but was able to do more gentle walking within a week of being home.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I waited for the 6 week check up before doing any 'proper' fast paced walking, but was able to do more gentle walking within a week of being home.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just walking to the letterbox was hard for the first week or so, but I sort of needed to get out walking quite quickly as I was trying anything to settle DD, plus had little support so still needed to go get the shopping etc. (back before online supermarket shopping came to woop-woop) I started back at yoga at about 8 weeks and my instructor helped me to modify some poses.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a c section on the Friday and had to take my DD1 to her first day of school on Tuesday (walking to and from the classroom) ...

Started gentle pelvic floor exercises immediately after.

It was probably a good 9 months before I was ready for a gym class first time around. This time I'm starting earlier, but more gently. Remembering that the hormones relaxin is in your body for up to 6 months post birth so it's important to protect your back as ligaments are still soft! 😃

Recovery tips = take it easy, protect your back an listen to your body.
    Last edited by mrsoptomistic; 03-02-2013 at 11:48.