+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Your c section: tips for recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Put a maternity pad over your scar to cushion it for a little while. I found I could still wear 'normal' knickers if I did that.

And driving wise, perhaps it depends on your insurance? I had no restrictions on when I could drive - neither from my Dr nor the insurer - so I just drove when I felt like it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub
    Most of the time if your doc is ok with u driving your insurance will cover you. I've been an insurance broker for almost 10 years and haven't seen a policy that specifically excludes driving after a c section

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Do you have other kids?

I had a friend who made some meals, my mum and dad also came to stay.

If it is just you and newborn, just take it slow, keep your baby close and just sit and relax.

Have you had c-section before?

I Also had no driving restrictions from doctor and insurance.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-02-2013 at 07:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get up and walk around as much as you can as early as you can. You will recover faster. I was depressed with my first and it took me 2 weeks to recover properly because I didn't walk around and made people push me in a wheelchair. The second one I got up as soon as I could and walked around as much as I could frequently and I was good to go after a day lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Subbing. I'm really freaking out about my c-section!!!!! I had key hole surgery and it was agony! So I clearly don't cope we'll with pain and this is a massive full on cut/surgery. I also can't take morphine or pethidine.

Being over weight would make it take longer to heal wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Your c section: tips for recovery

I was freaking out about mine also but was surprised at how easy the recovery was. As long as you don't try to do too much, and take all the pain meds they offer you while still in hospital you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Subbing. I'm really freaking out about my c-section!!!!! I had key hole surgery and it was agony! So I clearly don't cope we'll with pain and this is a massive full on cut/surgery. I also can't take morphine or pethidine.

I'm overweight and recovered quickly. I only spent 2 nights in hospital.

In regards to pain relief they put morphine in with the spinal but then after that it was panadeine forte. The first time I got out of bed I asked for something stronger and the doc prescribed endone which I never ended up taking. Came home with panadeine forte, realised they made me drowsy so then just panadol for the next week or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by carleena View Post
    I'm overweight and recovered quickly. I only spent 2 nights in hospital.

In regards to pain relief they put morphine in with the spinal but then after that it was panadeine forte. The first time I got out of bed I asked for something stronger and the doc prescribed endone which I never ended up taking. Came home with panadeine forte, realised they made me drowsy so then just panadol for the next week or so.
    Oh thank you. I can't take panadine forte either haha. Lost cause..

Can I ask what your pain threshold is like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Everyone has a different recovery from a c/s (and probably all surgery), so it's hard to say how you'll feel afterwards. But FWIW I found it was a very minimal recovery with not much pain at all. I found pregnancy more painful (I had SPD)!

For me it wasn't a massive cut - it was really very small, and 2 years on you can't see the scar at all. I only needed Panadol afterwards, and had no problems moving around.

As I say, it's different for all, but it wasn't a 'big deal' surgery for me, and most (if not all) of my friends who've had one feel similarly. I was really nervous beforehand too, and I remember thinking that I wouldn't worry about it next time. However, I'm having another in June, and I'm sure I'll get nervous again anyway!

Weight wise - I'm not sure. Again, I've known people who've been overweight and had good recoveries. I'd ask your OB that one - sorry to not be much help there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Girl X- I am having my c-section due to SPD!! With DD I had a vaginal birth that spilt me in half pretty much! I wasn't able to walk or get out of bed for 3 months. That's why I'm pushing for and elective.

I'm only 18 weeks and my spd is horrid. I couldn't cope without my src preg shorts.

Sorry for derailing Monnie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Girl X- I am having my c-section due to SPD!! With DD I had a vaginal birth that spilt me in half pretty much! I wasn't able to walk or get out of bed for 3 months. That's why I'm pushing for and elective.

I'm only 18 weeks and my spd is horrid. I couldn't cope without my src preg shorts.

Sorry for derailing Monnie.
    Oh, you poor thing to get it again the second time! I had it last time, but so far am 19 weeks and it hasn't emerged. Wearing the SRC shorts helps.

Yes, I had the c/s due to that too. The day after the c/s I kept getting out of bed and walking around everywhere as I couldn't believe how good I felt compared to the SPD! The c/s recovery really was nothing compared to SPD. It (SPD) mostly disappeared straight away, but there was a little bit left for about 6 weeks post-birth and then that gradually went. It's such a horrible thing to have.

My c/s (for SPD) was booked in only days before my due date, and my OB advised I could have a natural birth but "it would be like trying to play a football game with 2 broken legs". My MIL is a midwife and backed him up, as she said she had seen some awful recoveries from natural births in women who'd had SPD. I'm glad that I had the c/s - I really feel it was the right decision.

(Sorry Monnie - OT!)