+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your c section: tips for recovery

As title suggests I am after some tips with a new born I'm guessing its hard!!

Im having an elective and happy for this decision but scared about how we will copeonce home! Dp will be working, no support unless I stay at mums so just me and bubs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Your c section: tips for recovery

Rest as much as you can! Either co-sleep or have bub's bed next to yours for easy access at night. Take your time when getting up and down. Don't lift anything heavier than bub. Hold your belly when you cough or sneeze (sooooo painful!).
    This is more a cosmetic thing, but try to leave the dressing on your scar as long as possible. They changed mine to a single layer sticky dressing after a week and I left it on for 5 weeks after that (changing it in between when it got icky). My scar is nearly invisible, you can not tell I had a c-section unless I told you!

Sent from my umbrella

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't try to be super woman! You'll be tired and sore so rest when you can. Keep up with your meds regularly for the first week or so. It helped me to have something about 15mins before a feed as sitting to feed, getting up to change nappy then sitting to feed and settle again would hurt in the early days.

Most important thing is go slow, ease back into your normal activity over a few weeks. You don't want to split your scar or get an infection. Recovery from surgery is one thing, newborn days sleep deprivation is another but you'll have both so listen to your body.

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't wait until you start to feel sore to take your pain relief!

And tell everyone not to make you laugh... Most excruciating pain ever! Pads over your scar is amazing comfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with suggestions above another thing I found helpful when I left hospital was a belly wrap (the brand I used was Gabrialla), now I am five weeks pp I have been wearing spanx (a cheaper version) when I go out just to feel more supported.
    Also - put your clothes and things you will need to reach throughout the day at hip level so you don't have to bend. All the best and congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with what everyone said also. I just made sure i had everything on hand. the bassinet was next to my bed and on my bedside table i had all the things i might need eg. nappied, wipes, tissues. bottom cream for bubs, snacks and H2O for me o and the tv remote lol. I used a pillow to feed on also so i didnt have to strain to hold bubs. I also recomend avoiding to turn sideways as it was painful at times for me. PS did you know your not ment to drive for the first 6 weeks. I was told i would not be covered by insurance. Good luck. I had DD at 1344 i was relatively pain free the next morning and walking around. My bigest advice is listen to your own body and rest as much as possible. Also get DH to get bub at night for you also

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree with all the suggestions so far. One thing that I found great with both of my c-sections was wearing high waisted undies. Very unattractive (for me anyway) but felt a lot more supportive and didn't have to worry about anything digging in around the wound.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Your c section: tips for recovery

Put a maternity pad over your scar to cushion it for a little while. I found I could still wear 'normal' knickers if I did that.

And driving wise, perhaps it depends on your insurance? I had no restrictions on when I could drive - neither from my Dr nor the insurer - so I just drove when I felt like it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Be prepared to be in a lot of pain the first time u get out of bed and remember it gets easier from there. Have your partner stay in the hospital with u if possible. My DH stayed the entire time and it was great. Rest when u can and hire a cleaner so u are tempted to lift the vacuum of mop. Good luck