+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The next hurdle in my pregnancy............high chromosomal abdomality risk

I hope everything is ok emmaloo. I also have a low papp a reading and it has definitely made me worry.

Girlx, thank you for post. I found it reassuring. Do you mind sharing what your papp a levels were?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee2012 View Post
    I hope everything is ok emmaloo. I also have a low papp a reading and it has definitely made me worry.

Girlx, thank you for post. I found it reassuring. Do you mind sharing what your papp a levels were?
    It was 0.3944 as the MoM (normalised) score.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Gee2012  (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi emmaloo

I just came across this thread and I thought I would share the details of my scan with my third child with you.

Bubs had a risk if 1:32 for DS
    I never understood what the blood works mean however I went and looked at my information and it states.
    Free beta hCG 48.000 IU/I, equivalent to 1.2171 MoM.
    PAPP-A: 1.200 IU/I, equivalent to 0.6106 MoM.

Nasal bone was present
    Nuchal translucency was high 3.09mm

we opted to wait for an amnio and we got the all clear, no problems with bub whatsoever.

The wait is excruciating. I was torn between having an amnio and risking a miscarriage however wanted to know if there were any issues. We saw an amazing Dr who did the amnio and made us feel very reassured.

As you mentioned the odds are certainly in your favour that all is ok, it is when you first hear the ratio that you freak out plus the fact that you never really go to your scan expecting them to tell you bad news.

I asked the Dr who did the amnio what percentage of DS babies are born without a nasal bone present and he said it was 85%.

I hope that you are going ok and that everything works out fine. Let us know how it all goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your responces

I have my amnio booked in for Friday only another week of waiting...

As time goes on I am feeling more confident that all will be okay with baby. I am visualising a good outcome. I am however keeping in the back of my mind that the baby may have a chromosomal disorder but I am not worrying to much about what I will do in this circumstance unless the diagnosis is made.

Thanks again, will update

Thanks
    Reviews

Amnio results back and they are all clear, sooooo releived. To recap I was given a 1/28 chance of the baby having Down's Syndrome, hope this gives hope to other mothers in the same situation.

Also the amnio procedure was surprisingly almost painless. I am terrible with needles and have fainted just giving a blood sample. There was a sting as it went through the skin and some pressure as it went throug the uterus and when they removed the needle there was the only the tiniest mark. No cramping or bleeding the following days.

I now just have to have more regular ultrasounds to make sure baby is growing due to the low Papa/ high Hcg levels.

Also we are having a boy, a brother to my 2 year old son

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaloo View Post

Amnio results back and they are all clear, sooooo releived. To recap I was given a 1/28 chance of the baby having Down's Syndrome, hope this gives hope to other mothers in the same situation.

Also the amnio procedure was surprisingly almost painless. I am terrible with needles and have fainted just giving a blood sample. There was a sting as it went through the skin and some pressure as it went throug the uterus and when they removed the needle there was the only the tiniest mark. No cramping or bleeding the following days.

I now just have to have more regular ultrasounds to make sure baby is growing due to the low Papa/ high Hcg levels.

Also we are having a boy, a brother to my 2 year old son
    Great news!! And congratulations on your little boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glad the amnio was clear. Congrats on your little boy!

I had low pappa during my second pregnancy and had scans every month to monitor growth. All went well with no problems. I loved that I got to see our baby boy so often throughout the pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fantastic news!! Thanks for updating, I was just thinking about you this morning