+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Young kids sharing a room

Hi all
    I'm just after a bit of advice/reassurance about putting my kids in a room together.
    I'm preggers with number 3 and we live in a 3 bedroom house. DS is 2.5 (3 when bubs arrives) and DD is 15 months (19 months when bub gets here)
    While bubs will be in our room for a few months DH works night shifts and so it gets really hard to keep everything nice and quiet for bubs and DH!!
    Im keen to make the move in together before baby arrives...but am feeling anxious about them both being so young. I've found some low line bunk beds and DS is keen as mustard (peppa and George have bunks mummy!!).
    So I guess I'm just after a little reassurance that it can be done with minimal fuss (although I anticipate the first few nights will be 'interesting'!which is why I want to do it prior to bubs coming!)

Any experience, words of wisdom, advice, even horror stories much appreciated
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Young kids sharing a room

The downside to my 2 sharing is when one doesn't want to sleep, they insist on keeping the other awake.
    Other than that, there have been no issues in the many years they've been sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I have all 3 of my boys in the same room, they could have their own room but love being in together. They are 6 ,4 & almost 2. I moved my youngest in when he was 1. I have a bunk bed and then a car bed next to it. It works really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Young kids sharing a room

Our two boys share. Ds1 was 3 and ds2 was 6 months when they started. Apart from one playing up and keeping the other awake occasionally it's great. They keep each other company. They will be turning 7 and 4 this year.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids started sharing a room when the eldest was 2 and the youngest was 1. I thought they might keep each other awake but they don't. We haven't had any issues.

I probably wouldn't be using bunks until after your eldest is at least 6 there are thousands of children injured every year from bunk beds

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

scarlett41  (02-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My 2 year old and 4 and a half year old share a room. This started when they were 20 months and 4. We bought low lying bunks from domayne. They are really low as in the bottom bed is on the floor! Safest bunks I could find.

We sometimes have trouble getting them to sleep as like a pp said if isn't tired she will keep the other one up. They do encourage one another a lot. Oh and whoever wakes up first will sometimes wake the other Up in the morning. But they do love sharing a room. It helps miss 4 who has recently become afraid of he dark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My almost 5 and almost 6 year olds share a room and have bunks. And then my almost 14 and 10 year old share a room too.

Thanks
    Reviews

My two girls have shared since DD2 was 9 months old and DD1 was not quite 2.5. They are now 3 and 4.5 and the only way I have ever been able to get them to sleep is to stagger their bedtimes. DD2 goes to bed first and when she's asleep DD1 goes to bed. Otherwise they get so worked up they're still awake after 9pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

As someone who has always shared a room, I think it's a great idea.

My younger sister and I shared a room for 20 years... We are incredibly close and always have been.

I remember we used to get up to lots of mischief in the night when we were young though! I'm sure our parents weren't impressed.

When DS has a brother or a sister I'll put them in together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies....it has reassured me that it can/will work (they currently don't share and both are sitting up here wide awake an hour past bedtime so really what am I worried about!!!....)

I hadn't thought of the bunk bed safety so may need to re evaluate that part...

Taiyed.... I have the fondest memories of sharing with my siblings. I am one of 6 and so it was always at least 3 of us in the one room. But as it gets closer that I have to 'do it' with my kids, I'm just worried about the effects on the amazing bedtime routine we have (generally!!). I don't have any concerns about the kids- they wil love it... It's just my sanity!! Hehe!!