+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Considering changing jobs

So my new boss succeeded in making my cry yesterday after only being in charge of our team for two weeks (and one of which she was on leave). So I'm at the point where I just want to find another job because I don't think I can work with her - she has upset the entire team since she has been back from leave. What she went off at me about was completely unreasonable.

However, we will hopefully be starting our first IVF cycle in 3-6 months time - waiting on the PGD workup to be done.

Therefore do you think I can look for another job now, when potentially (and hopefully) I could be preganant before the end of the year? I feel kind of bad, like I'd be 'lying' to a potential employer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

OP - what a terrible situation to be in. You need to do what feels right for you. I don't think you should worry about what will happen when you get pregnant, you need to put yourself first. Stress when you are TTC or pregnant is really not beneficial to your health.

I was in a similar situation, however it was not a new boss, it was the boss I had been working under for 4 years. Her behaviour was escalating and I was at my wits end. I felt sick being near her everyday. I didn't leave, but I should have. My last year at work was unbearable and the stress really took its toll while I was pregnant.

If I could go back in time I would give myself a boot up the backside... I was so frozen with fear of the unknown that I couldn't do what was best for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If you get a new job pretty soon and fall pregnant straight away, you'll be there for 12 months by the time bub is due so will get your unpaid parental leave and will have a job to go back to.

After 1 terrible day at work it leaves me feeling rotten (and I have a great boss), so I can't imagine dreading work for 12+ months... I'd leave if I were you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I forgot to say in my post that I didn't go through IVF. We were very lucky to conceive easily... So I can only imagine what you must be going through with your journey.

Sending lots of baby dust

Thanks
    Reviews
    It certainly cannot hurt to look for a new job...start spreading the net and see what happens.

As for getting a new job and ttc...hun, don't let ttc stop you following other dreams. Yes, ideally, you will fall first ivf cycle...but, maybe you won't and then you will still be miserable and working for a cow.

Best case scenario...you find something quickly and then are with them for 6 months before you fall pregnant and you will have been there 12 months and be entitled to leave! People fall pregnant all the time after starting a new job, just because your requires a little more planning, doesn't mean you should not be applying for jobs. That you would be starting IVF a efw months after starting is irrelevant to your suitability for the role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the mean time, keep a record of everything that happens - date, time, what you (or another team member) did, what she said, etc. If you can, get other team members to do the same. If she doesn't improve then you will be prepared to speak to HR/Management with sufficient details of what happened.