+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about Cairns

So we're thinking of planning a mid-year break to Cairns this year. We've never been to far North Queensland as we've mainly kept to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast for past holidays. So I'm after some feedback from others who have been to Cairns. What are some of the better family friendly places to stay with a 3yo and 7 yo? Also an idea of some of the things to do and places to see would be great. All advice and feedback welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hiya - I'm a Cairns local! Cairns is definitely a family friendly place. Depending on ur budget, I would recommended the Coconut Hpliday Resort. It is a luxury caravan park, they have self-contained cabins, and heaps of activities for all ages. On top of that, they have a normal pool with slides, putt-putt course, massive jumping mattresses (for young and old), and a new-ish water play area for kids with slides n fountains n stuff.

Cairns is very easy to get around, n if u hire a car, it generally only takes 15-30mins to get into and surrounding town itself.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mushiedaina For This Useful Post:

Kahu  (10-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I looove cairns! We are from sydney but try to get up there twice a year as my brother lives there. As PP said cairns coconut resort is AMAZING! Just as much fun for the adults! They have theme nights and an outdoor cinema, and Thursday mornings there is free pancake breakfast by the pool! We always hire a car up there. There is so much for families there too. The esplanade is great, has a water playground called muddys, a huge swimming pool that is free to use, yoga & Zumba classes and is right across the road from the night markets. If you want some day trip ideas you could drive up to port Douglas or catch the boat out to green island. It really is such a lovely, relaxing area!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and also there is a sky rail that goes up to Kuranda that is really awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews

Honestly, I don't rate Cairns. It's a lot like Geelong but not as nice. The beach was quite muddy when we went though the pool bit on the Esplanade was nice. I found it full of backpackers. We stayed at Kewarra Beach about 20 mins north and it was lovely. The beaches from Trinity beach onwards all looked nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeps the beaches on the esplanade in town are mudflats, and not actually a beach (another Cairns local). Trinity, Kewarra, Clifton and Palm Cove beaches (20 minutes north) are just gorgeous!!!! Like everyone else said there's the reef, there's Kuranda and the rainforest/skyrail/scenic rail. Lots of the restaurants in town have deals where if you order before 6:30pm you get anywhere between 15-25% off your meals which is great if you're wanting to eat early!!! Also drive up to Port Douglas and Mossman Gorge. There's a place called Crystal Cascades in Redlynch (15 minutes out of town) which is a creek/swimming hole where all the locals go and is just lovely, though might be a bit chilly in winter.

The Wildlife Parks and Hartley's Crocodile adventures would be great for the kids as well. Just be prepared that a lot of the touristy things are expensive ($100+ per adult), so do your research on what you want to do. When you get to Cairns there are a tonne of information? shop fronts that sell the passes for every activity possible and you can often get a cheaper deal out of them, especially if you "deal shop" (the lady down the road told me she could get it for x price, what can you do it for?)

Thanks
    Reviews

My fav beach is Yorkeys Knob beach if you head up the beaches way ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been checking out a few of your suggestions online and they look great. Coconut Resort looks great for the kids and I think a trip up to Kuranda as well as out to Green Island looks like a must. We'll be hiring a car so can easily take a drive up a little further north to check out some of the nicer beaches. I'm thinking August might be a good time to spend a week up north - is this a good time of year to go? Also happy to hear more suggestions. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmy View Post
    'm thinking August might be a good time to spend a week up north - is this a good time of year to go?
    Yeps!!! No stingers so you can swim at the beach without having to worry about getting stung and its still a balmy 20-something degrees

Thanks
    Reviews

August and September are both good times to come. It is peak tourism season then though, so prices may be a bit higher.