+ Reply to Thread
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Toilet training- few q's

TT seems to have 'clicked' for DS, and he's pretty much trained himself at home in the last week. But i do have a few questions:

He's bare bummed at home and just runs to his potty when he wants to go. He goes all the time though. I'm sure its the novelty, but he'll go sometimes every 5-10 minutes. I thought it wasn't very good for your bladder control to go more than you need to, so not sure if I should discourage this- maybe getting him to put undies back on to make it more time consuming?

He gets a Lego minifigure for doing a poo on the potty. Now he's not had any poo accidents all week, so I'm going to make him a chart so once he gets 5 stars he'll get a minifigure. But then how do I stop with the minifigures all together?

TT while we're out- I pretty much make him come to the toilet with me every hour we're out (he won't go if I'm not already going), should I be just letting him wet himself so he learns he needs to take the initiative and go by himself/tell me when he needs to go?

Rest time- he's not napping anymore but I'm still putting a nappy on him while he has 'rest time' (quiet play in his room/on his bed while listening to audiobooks) as i don't want him coming out every 5 minutes to go to the potty. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Oops that's a lot of questions not expecting everyone to be able to answer everything, but all ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Toilet training- few q's

Subbing, just about to start tt...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What worked for me is just leaving them in their undies and no nappies so if they do have an accident they get the feel of being wet and uncomfortable. Putting nappies on just sends a subconscience signal that they dont have to worry about the toilet as they have a nappy on so can wee and its ok IYKWIM.

I would suggest if you dont want him running to the toilet every 5 mins that maybe putting him in his undies and pants may curb that. I imagine that have fresh air on your nether regions must be inticing and just encourage that behavour.

As for the chart...you can always extend it out to 10 stars, then 15, 20, etc until he forgets and just say he doesnt need a star chart as he is such an awesome boy for doing poos all by himself. So emphasis on the star chart not the reward.

Its great that he is doing so well tho!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-02-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Toilet training- few q's

Thanks Fluffy (and also *bump*)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Toilet training- few q's

I was going to say the same with the star chart as fluffy suggested. Start with an easy target then work it up, you may find that in a week or so he's over the whole star chart thing anyway (the novelty wears of quick with my boys!).

For rest time could you maybe put the potty in his room on a towel? Or is that gross lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-02-2013)