+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gumtree

The fact that he doesn't want to see it, won't give you a phone number and has somebody else wanting to pick it up for him because he is away, all screams scammer to me. I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this happening to someone the other day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Gumtree

absolutely steer clear... it's a known scam.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013),Mulva  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a scam TBH. They ask for your details first and then hack into your account. It always so happens that they are 'away' and someone else will pick it up or you ship it to them.

If you are unsure, get some details from them. Ask where they live and what their contact details are. If they freely hand over those sorts of details you should be pretty safe.

And with PayPal, there is no Buyer Protection if the Buyer picks up the goods. Buyer Protection is where they pay with PayPal and the goods are then shipped via a trackable means. They cannot lodge a dispute through PayPal if they pickup the goods.

If you want to make sure its legit, ask for his PayPal email then you can send him an invoice to pay. If he doesnt give you those details then its a surefire scam.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm pretty sure the scam is something to do with using paypal to pay, I think because the buyer has rights with paypal they can complain get their money refunded and will still have the item (if they say it was not as described or something). Can't remenber the exact deal but our friend was selling a boat (for thousands of $) and had people wanting to pay via paypal and have the boat delivered sight unseen! Steer clear!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to veggiemama For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Sounds like a scam TBH. They ask for your details first and then hack into your account. It always so happens that they are 'away' and someone else will pick it up or you ship it to them.

If you are unsure, get some details from them. Ask where they live and what their contact details are. If they freely hand over those sorts of details you should be pretty safe.

And with PayPal, there is no Buyer Protection if the Buyer picks up the goods. Buyer Protection is where they pay with PayPal and the goods are then shipped via a trackable means. They cannot lodge a dispute through PayPal if they pickup the goods.

If you want to make sure its legit, ask for his PayPal email then you can send him an invoice to pay. If he doesnt give you those details then its a surefire scam.
    He actually asked me to send him a paypal invoice...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gumtree

Yeh it's a scam. Every time I post on gumtree and the item is worth a bit I get texts and emails from people working away etc. annoys me. Now I just ignore them.
    It's sad to think some people might fall for it and lose so much money

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gumtree

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    He said he wants to arrange for someone else to pick it up as he is away...
    I'm sure he could give them the money, I'd stay away. If he pays PayPal you'll get a dodger email saying funds have been deposited, it will be picked up and you won't get the money. I'd just use cash on pick up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds dodgy. Maybe just tell him you are happy to hold it for him to pick up when he gets back and you want cash on pick up. Or tell him to give the money to his friend who is going to pick it up. Let him know that if he is not happy with that then you will sell it to someone else who is happy with those terms. That way if he is a genuine buyer you haven't just blown him off. If he is dodgy then you have saved yourself from being scammed.
    Good luck

Sent from my umbrella

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePancakeDrawer For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

As PP have said- It is a scam. A really common one. You'll receive a fake PayPal email saying the money has been transferred. And even if you don't fall for that part- they have your email address. These people phish for emails.

You need to stop all contact with him NOW. And report him to gumtree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    He actually asked me to send him a paypal invoice...
    The hardest part is that they can still get all your details if you send through an invoice. Usually the deterrent for a scammer is that they have to hand over a legitimate email that is linked to a PayPal account.

I guess if you are feeling its suss, then go with your gut. It just sucks that it could be a legitimate person and you dont want to lose a sale.

Just tell him is cash on pick up only. Then if its real he can give his mate the money to collect. I mean if he trusts him with the tank surely he can trust him with the cash?

Also with PayPal you will be charged a fee so I hope you have factored that into your sale price (forgive me if you know that already).

And with PayPal they cannot raise a dispute if they pick up the item.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

bpac  (01-02-2013)