+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default feeding 8 month old...

i have a couple of questions about what to give my 8mth old...

dinners - easy, he will eat any vegies, pasta, meat, chicken, fish etc... no worries...

breakfast - he's still eating farex mixed with either apple or pears...although he's not crazy about it, but at least he eats it... i've tried him with weet bix a couple of times, either mixed with his formula or water or fruit and he's not too keen on it, but he also gets constipated from the weet bix... so i'm looking for more cereal ideas or breakfast ideas...

toast - he used to love! i'd cut them into fingers and he'd eat the lot...vegemite, cream cheese, jam, avocado... but the last few weeks, he's just playing with them and won't eat them and unless i cut them into bite size pieces and put them in his mouth he won't eat it...

so that also brings me to lunch - sandwiches have become a pain to give him, as above with toast... because he won't really pick them up and put them in his mouth, if he does it's only the tiniest bit and he just plays with the rest... he does the same thing with biscuits/rice cakes or cruskets with spread on them... he used to eat them, he'd pick them up and gobble the lot! and now he won't unless i cut them up small and physically put them in his mouth... however, give him a plain biscuit like the arnotts plain milk biscuits, he'll eat the lot, by himself, no help needed... but obviously they are a small snack...

the same now with fruit... he loves all fruit except banana... he used to hold a finger of fruit and feed himself and now he won't... again i have to cut them up tiny and put them in his mouth...

he likes yoghurt, but i can't give it to him everyday or he gets runny poos... cheese sticks he's ok with, again if i feed small bits to him...

i'm needing more breakfast, lunch and finger food ideas for him, especially for when he starts at day care in 4 weeks, i need lunch box ideas...but i also can't understand why he used to feed himself so well and now he won't...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Try not to feed him, leave the food on his tray and let him do it himself , eat with him so he sees you eating the same food, he will eat when he is hungry!

Eggs are a great breakfast food and are really healthy - try mixing 2 eggs with some chopped tomato and whatever herbs you have - fry in a non stick pan and make a little egg pancake - cut into strips and he can feed himself

Homemade pancakes are also easy - wholemeal flour, egg and milk and you can add banana or berries - cut into strips and he can feed himself

Bread is not good every day anyway so for lunches I used to make mini meatballs or nuggets ( chicken, fish, veggie) or zuchini slice in mini muffin tins so he could easily pick them up

Also start giving him veggies and pasta for lunch - add ricotta cheese and cooked peas or spinach to hot spaghetti ( it makes a creamy green sauce) it's messy but it's good to let them get used to the different textures and feel of food

cut up broccoli , cauliflower, carrot and steam them for lunch with some fresh fish or chicken , give him an antipasto platter of chopped olives, capsicum, cucumber , cheese ( not cheese sticks please!) homemade dips (guacamole/hummus/tzatiki) with cucumber stick dippers or pita bread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

webby  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Does he like rice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Does he like rice?
    i've only given him rice mixed with in with other foods, not by itself because i was a bit worried about him inhaling a bit and choking... is that dumb? lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I can't help much with lunch as DD is still eating lumpy meat and veg purées but for breakfast she has puffed rice. It's actually puffed brown rice and that is the only ingredient, absolutely nothing else added. The brand is abundant earth and you find it in the health food aisle. I just mix that with her formula and she loves it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Dd2 is 7mths old and eats everything that elijahs mum mentioned.

Usually brekky is weetbix/porridge/omlettes/scrambled eggs/pancakes

Morning tea - fruit- in large slices

Lunch - leftovers

Afternoon tea- home made snacks or muffins, rusks etc

Dinner - normal meals just cooked softer for my toothless lady.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Dd2 is 7mths old and eats everything that elijahs mum mentioned.

Usually brekky is weetbix/porridge/omlettes/scrambled eggs/pancakes

Morning tea - fruit- in large slices

Lunch - leftovers

Afternoon tea- home made snacks or muffins, rusks etc

Dinner - normal meals just cooked softer for my toothless lady.
    How many feeds of milk does she have a day together with all that food?

Sorry op to hijack your thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    How many feeds of milk does she have a day together with all that food?

Sorry op to hijack your thread
    Daycare days - 5-7 in 24hrs

Other days - demand fed but at least 7 proper feeds and a few quick drinks along the day. So 7-10