+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default various BF questions

1. Bub suckles while she sleeps - day naps and all night too. (we bedshare). Anyone else's baby do this? I have found a semi comfortable way to sleep while she's attached but would appreciate any tips. Currently I use a pillow wedged under my back to keep me half on my back/half on my side. I would also really like to be able to feed her with my arm under her but can't figure out how to do this.

2. Bub is 3 months old. Is there any problem with feeding her quite often, like every 1.5 hours? I tried to feed her 3 hourly but I need to feed her to sleep most of the time so 3 hourly doesn't really work, but is there any reason (related to her health) that you wouldn't feed so often? She only ever has one side at a time because she spits up a lot (has from the very first feed), which is another reason I feed more frequently.

3. Bub has a less-than-ideal latch, she generally just sucks on the nipple and not much of the areola/breast, which I am pretty much used to now, it's only slightly uncomfortable if she feeds on the same side in quick succession, but is this a problem long term? e.g not being able to get enough milk out? I have a strong milk ejection reflex and lots of milk at the moment but I'm guessing this will change as she gets older?
    Sorry for the long post and TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When I breastfed, it was frequently too.

I would lay in bed with my arm stretched out straight so bub could nestle under my arm kind of thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My 8MO still likes to suckle at times - it's a comfort thing and not a problem. I know what you mean about getting comfortable - we bed share too and it takes a lot to be able to position yourself so you can sleep while she goes about her business - position wise it really depends on how she's latched herself on - I usually do side on facing her but shuffle around a lot. I can nuzzle her with arm underneath but it goes numb after a while so prefer not to and she's fine side on facing me on the mattress.

On the feeding more frequently thing there is absolutely nothing wrong with this - demand feeding us natural as no baby is given a watch so they time their feeds they eat when they ate hungry. You can't force feed a bf baby...they take what they need and don't end up massive chubsters if they eat hourly or so. Breast milk is processed by their bodies much quicker than formula so they are hungry sooner. So long as you know they're getting enough each feed (empty breast, offering both sides (even if not taken) wet nappies etc...you have absolutely nothing to worry about and feed away!!

With the latch it will improve with time - my DD had great difficulty latching in the first few months but quickly became an absolute champion at it and can find a nipple and latch perfectly every time even in pitch darkness now - great that you can work your way through the tenderness now - it will get better.

Best of luck with everything!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me+he&she=three View Post
    My 8MO still likes to suckle at times - it's a comfort thing and not a problem. I know what you mean about getting comfortable - we bed share too and it takes a lot to be able to position yourself so you can sleep while she goes about her business - position wise it really depends on how she's latched herself on - I usually do side on facing her but shuffle around a lot. I can nuzzle her with arm underneath but it goes numb after a while so prefer not to and she's fine side on facing me on the mattress.

On the feeding more frequently thing there is absolutely nothing wrong with this - demand feeding us natural as no baby is given a watch so they time their feeds they eat when they ate hungry. You can't force feed a bf baby...they take what they need and don't end up massive chubsters if they eat hourly or so. Breast milk is processed by their bodies much quicker than formula so they are hungry sooner. So long as you know they're getting enough each feed (empty breast, offering both sides (even if not taken) wet nappies etc...you have absolutely nothing to worry about and feed away!!

With the latch it will improve with time - my DD had great difficulty latching in the first few months but quickly became an absolute champion at it and can find a nipple and latch perfectly every time even in pitch darkness now - great that you can work your way through the tenderness now - it will get better.

Best of luck with everything!
    Ohhhh I don't know about that lol my son was breastfed for the first 4 months and he was a bigggggg chubby bubby from my milk

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Ohhhh I don't know about that lol my son was breastfed for the first 4 months and he was a bigggggg chubby bubby from my milk
    Oh right!! Maybe I produce skim milk then!!