+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How did you get ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    I've been thinking about going back to work too but what's the point!!! Daycare is $76 a day almost $40 after rebate? I'm only in retail so its not worth it.
    But it is worth it, because you still have more income than none. Work out your hourly rate (retail approx $20/hr?), work 8 hr shifts 5 days per week (which could be 6 if you can get the sat shift). That is $800 per week. At $40 per day Childcare will be $200 per week, so you are still $600 per week better off. If you work 48 weeks of the year (assuming you take 4 weeks leave a year), you are still earning under $40k so are still entitled to your Childcare benefit.

I know it is really tough. Do you live in a city of regionally? What about hubby getting work as a dishwasher of glassy in a pub/club? If regional, doorknock farms, people always need help mucking stables, chipping thistles. Put flyers in your neighbours letter boxes saying you can walk dogs/feed them when people go away.

I wish you all the best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Babyla I think it is great your hubby is retraining for your future, he is not too old don't listen to anyone. I have some great story's of people retraining in their 40s and going on to be the best in their field. All the best to you both.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

babyla  (31-01-2013),happy wanderer  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yep. My DH has gone back to re-train and has taken on apprenticeship. So basically we have gone from 2 good incomes to his apprenticeship wage. Massive shock to the system. Short term pain for long term gain.
    :
    This is pretty much the same as us. Dh is now a 2nd year apprentice, and many people thought he was mad to be re-training. But, he loves it, he will be a relativel high income earner when he finishes, the lifestyle with the hours he works is great. It is one of the best decisions he has made, IMO. Also, depending on the site he is at he can earn a decent amount already.

We manage financially with dh doing an apprenticeship, me studying full time, while limiting daycare to 2 days a week and having practically nil family support. We have never missed a mortgage payment, or been late with a bill. Sacrifices definitely have to be made, but it's definitely doable.

Plus, in a couple of years when dh and I are both in the workforce we will be so glad we did this.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Hubby completed his training and assessing qualification. He already had qualifications from the army and as a firefighter. He completed mining courses while working as a T&A and than did a cert IV in healthcare. He now works on a mine site. Not the highest paid job but he enjoys it as it mixes all 3 things together. He is current studying something to do with emergency management..I forget what it's called

Another words lots of studying but we have been lucky that he has almost always had work while doing it and that most of his courses were paid for by whoever he was working for (bar the T&A and healthcare course).

We also consolidated our debts and paid them off ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 years ago when the GFC hit we were in debt up to our eyeballs, my DH's business failed, he was forced into bankruptcy, I was suffering from PND with 2 babies... It felt like life had fallen apart and I thought we would never recover. 2 years down the track, my DH has taken a job with a new company in the city and earns much better money working for them than he ever did having his own business, he has almost saved enough to get his bankruptcy annulled. I have recovered from PND and we are just about to go on holidays to the Whitsundays.
    Life can and does change. Its about weathering the storms and getting back up again when you've been knocked down and keep going towards where you want to be in life and recognising opportunities when they happen. My DH was waiting to see his lawyer to sort out his bankruptcy when he got chatting to a guy in the waiting room. 5 months down the track he bumped into the same guy who was starting up a new company and offered my DH a job which he took. 1 year later the business has gone from strength to strength and we are now almost in a better position than when we started.... good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

We were hit hard after gfc but just hung in there, at one point I was working 3 jobs , 7 days a week ( DH was working 60hrs a week at night so it was easier for me to do it) . You just do what you have to do. The other jobs weren't glamorous but beggars can't be choosers.
    It was tough but I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel.
    I paid bills weekly and what was left was our play money ( very small amount). As we were behind slightly on bills I paid a little extra ( negotiated with company) and now it's paid off we still pay the little bit extra so we are ahead if something happens.
    We moved back to a smaller place and cut costs were we can.
    I did up a 5 year plan of budget so I had an idea when things were not going to be so bad and just focused on that goal.
    When bub is born and im bsck full time DH will go back to working weekends, we don't like it but it saves 2 days a week childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly if your partner really is trying to get a job but isn't I would be looking at the possible reasons why. Is his CV up to scratch? At this point I would not be relying on hubby to be getting a job, I would be looking myself. Both of you look for a job and whomever finds one first the other stays home with the baby. Also it's important to look outside the square, extend the zone in which you are looking, it may be that in order to get a job you may need to travel that extra distance until something else comes up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel! I'm on a 'decent' wage (only just barely above average) and DH isn't working. He's applied for TONS of jobs but when you don't even get a call back it gets really depressing.
    He's looking into studying too. His father did the same thing when he and his brothers were in high school and they did it really tough for a while there. We're living paycheck to paycheck at the moment but honestly we just tighten our belts and put away the spare coppers where we can.

I don't have any huge advice other than to save what you can when you can and keep your chin up. There are plenty more people in the world that have far less than us and I always remind myself that I still have the money to get online, I still have the money to be paying off a car and I still have the money to feed my family. Sure, it'd be nice to do that without worrying where the money is going to come from in an emergency but for now we get by and that's the important part .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, you guys are the best. Loved all the feedback and some great stories and ideas in there. Thank you so much. I admit after a good sleep last night I did get up this morning feeling a little better. It just got to me yesterday. Call it a moment of despair.

For the record, we have been scaling the town for work and we haven't been picky about which jobs. I've worked plenty of menial jobs in my life to get ahead and DH has no airs and graces either. However, I didn't even think of the local hospital so that's next on my list.

On the bright side, we have no debts and we are really careful not to get into any. We own our car outright and I didn't know you could get a payment card for your rego so I will definitely look into that. I warned our energy provider about our situation so I have a card thing for them which I put something on every fortnight and we don't need a landline so there's no bill there.

I also overpay the rent. I have to pay the rent by cheque so every fortnight I put in a little more than I should into the cheque account so by the end of the tenancy we should have a forced saving there. I've also been reading the forum sections in here that suggest thrifty ways to feed your family and where to get discounts.

I am looking into further education while at home with the kids and DH will be attending the local TAFE to retrain in something. When I look hard at my situation, things could be a lot worse so I guess I've just got to have a bit of patience and have faith that we will eventually get out of this rut.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (31-01-2013),OJandMe  (31-01-2013),RipperRita  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We lived in a small town, and DF was struggling to find a job. He eventually got one, but left not long after because he was being screwed over majorly, his employers were committing tax fraud.
    Anyway, we moved to an area that had more jobs on offer. Best thing we ever did.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tannedangel For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (01-02-2013)