+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OP, I assume you mean in the long term. I think the only way is for one or both of you to study or train in an area that pays better. My partner started uni at 26, and it's now our 7th year of him being on low income (4 years ft uni, 2 years into an internship) (and no income for 18 months of his degree). it's been tough, but when he's fully qualified, his income will jump up a bit and there will be lots more opportunities for work, allowing us to get ahead.

It's a long road to a better income sometimes, but I figure you may as well start as that time will go anyway.

Also, remember that having babies and young kids is probably the poorest time in a lot of people's lives as their capacity to work is diminished unless they use ft daycare.

Good luck with your partner getting work. it sounds like times are tough with employment right now. what does he do for a living?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013),shelle65  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    OP, I assume you mean in the long term. I think the only way is for one or both of you to study or train in an area that pays better. My partner started uni at 26, and it's now our 6th year of him being on low income (and no income for 18 months of his degree). it's been tough, but when he's fully qualified, his income will jump up a bit and there will be lots more opportunities for work, allowing us to get ahead.

It's a long road to a better income sometimes, but I figure you may as well start as that time will go anyway.

Also, remember that having babies and young kids is probably the poorest time in a lot of people's lives as their capacity to work is diminished unless they use ft daycare.

Good luck with your partner getting work. it sounds like times are tough with employment right now. what does he do for a living?
    That's what we keep telling ourselves too, when DH has his diploma it will be worth the struggles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    That's what we keep telling ourselves too, when DH has his diploma it will be worth the struggles.
    You just have to hang on to that. I remember my partner bringing his laptop and uni books to the hospital during my first birth, lol. such a juggle with working, studying and kids.

My BIL (38) keeps saying he is too old to study now but he's hit a ceiling without a degree. but better start now and it takes years of pt than never have it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You just have to hang on to that. I remember my partner bringing his laptop and uni books to the hospital during my first birth, lol. such a juggle with working, studying and kids.

My BIL (38) keeps saying he is too old to study now but he's hit a ceiling without a degree. but better start now and it takes years of pt than never have it.
    Thank you, only 6 months to go and he is done with studying

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so hard isn't it?

DH is studying and won't finish till mid year and due to my health I won't be returning to work this year.

We have a mortgage and 5 kids and are both on Centrelink payments. It just isn't enough Each bill we get, I have to ring and extend to the next bill is due which means late payment fees But we just don't have hundreds of dollars laying around spare
    My DH is studying to, and won't finish till 2015 - and we ahve five kids too.. so I know what you mean!

The only thing that keeps us afloat right now is that we live regionally and it's not as expensive as living in the city. Rent is lower, petrol next to nothing as we can walk/ride bikes everywhere.

We struggled REALLY hard last year as DH had a previous arts degree... so he was studying 2 courses at once last year to complete a Grad Dip Ed- so he can pick up some supply teaching days this year (which is what I also do)... that way he can take on as much as he feels he can balance while trying to get his study done. (which is so hard with kids) - we've made the decision to transfer him to Parenting Payment so he can get JET assistance with childcare, and put the boys in 5 days, so he can take on an extra subject a semester and finish earlier....

we'll see how it goes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know nothing about switching payments for the better?

DH gets Austudy. I get FTB A & B and Parenting Payment. We don't rent though, so no rent assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you get ahead?

I've been thinking about going back to work too but what's the point!!! Daycare is $76 a day almost $40 after rebate? I'm only in retail so its not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    I've been thinking about going back to work too but what's the point!!! Daycare is $76 a day almost $40 after rebate? I'm only in retail so its not worth it.
    Yep this is what I found when working

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know nothing about switching payments for the better?

DH gets Austudy. I get FTB A & B and Parenting Payment. We don't rent though, so no rent assistance.
    If you're not studying or working, then you're on the best you can be atm... coz he gets the study supplements.

For us it works better if DH is on PP as he can get JET childcare and I can't- (His austudy is finished, but his course isn't because he had to go part time for a while- drop subjects etc when kids were born and we just couldn't balance a full-time load.)

If he gets JET childcare, then all the kids can be gone 5 days for the same price we're paying now for 3 in 3 days... which opens up my availability to work as I won't have to juggle it around days the boys are home- and he doesn't lose study time when I take work and he has to look after the kids.

It's really is a juggle! But you're almost at the end! WooHoo for you!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP, I assume you mean in the long term. I think the only way is for one or both of you to study or train in an area that pays better. My partner started uni at 26, and it's now our 7th year of him being on low income (4 years ft uni, 2 years into an internship) (and no income for 18 months of his degree). it's been tough, but when he's fully qualified, his income will jump up a bit and there will be lots more opportunities for work, allowing us to get ahead.

Yep. My DH has gone back to re-train and has taken on apprenticeship. So basically we have gone from 2 good incomes to his apprenticeship wage. Massive shock to the system. Short term pain for long term gain!

He's 1 year down, nearly 2nd year. Then he'll be 3rd year and by 4th year he's pretty much paid a normal wage for his industry. It was a hard decision but we're glad he's doing what he wants to do and we know it will be worth it. He's nearly 33 so he'll be nearly 37 when he's done. Lots of people have asked us why you would bother at his age - simply he has at least 20 working years ahead of them, he'd rather be doing what he loves for the next 20 years and with a qualification that guarantees a good income.

I think the way to get ahead is long term planning - 1 year, 5 years, 10 years - where do you want to be? what steps do you need to do that? make a plan and then stick to it.

Good luck OP - it's very possible

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013),OJandMe  (31-01-2013)