+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you get ahead?

Ok from someone who's DH lost his job whilst I was pregnant the biggest thing I can say is both of you go out and apply for any and every job possible. To keep our family afloat I returned to work doing night shift when our first was 7 weeks old- was it hard?? Yes but my child was not going to be raised in poverty..... My husband then finished his teaching course whilst doing a paper round and casual bottle shop work. Neither of us liked our jobs but it got us through.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    Ok from someone who's DH lost his job whilst I was pregnant the biggest thing I can say is both of you go out and apply for any and every job possible. To keep our family afloat I returned to work doing night shift when our first was 7 weeks old- was it hard?? Yes but my child was not going to be raised in poverty..... My husband then finished his teaching course whilst doing a paper round and casual bottle shop work. Neither of us liked our jobs but it got us through.
    My DH has been looking for 12 months and nothing. Not even nightfill jobs will take him on

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    My DH has been looking for 12 months and nothing. Not even nightfill jobs will take him on
    That happened to my DH 2 years ago, he couldn't even get a supermarket job either. He was on centrelink which meant he had to go to Mission who didnt do a lot at first but he asked them if he could do work experience in the field he usually works in (instead of just mowing lawns) to get a foot in the door and they actually helped him get work experience and now he has 2 jobs that he loves. He did have to work full time for 6 months for basically nothing (centrelink only paid him $20 extra while doing work for the dole) but it ended up getting him where he needs to be now.
    It can be so hard but that's what places like centrelink, mission etc are there for.
    We're still not what I would call ahead but he do have a little bit in savings so are getting there!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    That happened to my DH 2 years ago, he couldn't even get a supermarket job either. He was on centrelink which meant he had to go to Mission who didnt do a lot at first but he asked them if he could do work experience in the field he usually works in (instead of just mowing lawns) to get a foot in the door and they actually helped him get work experience and now he has 2 jobs that he loves. He did have to work full time for 6 months for basically nothing (centrelink only paid him $20 extra while doing work for the dole) but it ended up getting him where he needs to be now.
    It can be so hard but that's what places like centrelink, mission etc are there for.
    We're still not what I would call ahead but he do have a little bit in savings so are getting there!
    Hubby studies full time so is limited to evening and weekend work but they seem to only want the young ones

Thanks
    Reviews

In your situation the only thing that will get you ahead is working I have no other advice I'm sure you guys are trying, it must be so hard living on welfare

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Hubby studies full time so is limited to evening and weekend work but they seem to only want the young ones
    Yeah that would make it harder if he can only work at night, you would think any employer would jump at him because most people don't want to work weekends or nights!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    Yeah that would make it harder if he can only work at night, you would think any employer would jump at him because most people don't want to work weekends or nights!
    That's what we thought!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have no advise on the job front other then keep trying make him apply for anything and everything even pizza delivery driving its not the best of jobs but its a job. DH had about 4 months between his current job and his last job and applied for everything he could. He works in the civil contruction industry so when its wet if a project finishes up before the next can start getting onto any other existing projects with anyone else is mission impossible cause civil work stops when it rains. All he could get to do was pizza delivery driving. Tell you what i have always since then generously tipped delivery drivers i know how little theyre on.

As far as getting ahead goes :

Rego- Not sure if you can do it in every state but in QLD you can get a smart card thing and it allos you do put money onto it each fortnight/ week and when your rego is due depending on how much you pay it'll either completely pay for your rego or substanially bring the price down that you have to have available straight away.

Electricity- insteadve trying to save the money or paying it out in one big hit set a frequent amount to come out every week or fortnight. I pay $60 per fortnight through centrepay my bill at the end of this quarter was a total of $482 btu because i had regular payments towards it all i had to pay on due date was $122

FURNITURE- we moved from Brisbane to Townsville (16-18 hours north) with nothing other than what we could fit in our car. (VT commodore) We had to satrt again from scratch. If you want to layby or save to buy brand new thats fine but i found it easier to by stuff from lifeline or second hand stores. Say what you want but youn can pick up soem nice stuff and at such good prices.

Saving- Cut your electricity use down, common sense stuff like making sure all power points are turned off when not in use and turning lights off during the day, aircon settings etc.
    We ( both DH and I) Put $10 each week into a secondary account that gains better interest then our everyday. While $10 p/w doesnt sound like alot any amount adds up it really really will. Saving $80 a month for a whole year will leave you with a pretty pennys worth of savings.

I really do hope things get better. Know that you are definately not alone. Its hards but it wont stay hard forever

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure I'm really "ahead" but I'm definately getting there.

Where would I start? With a job! I'd be putting my name down at job agencies, going to all the painful interviews- put my name down for anything to start off with. Once I get a job- than I'd refine it. Tell the agencies that I'd like to be considered for such and such work if it comes up and apply for the jobs I want, while still bringing in the money from the temp job.

Oh, and on the bills front. If it's not going to keep me alive- I didn't have it. Obviously everyone is different but even with study- I didn't have the internet. I would go to the library if I needed it, or do it all at work. No foxtel (still not- I get too addicted to the TV shows!!!), had prepaid on my mobile so if I didn't have the money to pay the bill/buy credit, I didn't. You can call 000 if anything is that urgent.
    I know people who didn't even have cars when times were tough. That was on my essential list so I wasn't one of them, but other people do it, so I suppose it's possible.

Big hugs though. Nothing worse than financial stress.
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 31-01-2013 at 12:16.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can he switch his study to part time night or correspondence? This is what I do- work full time and study part time by correspondence. It's not so bad, I take 1 day off a fortnight and volunteer in the classroom for the morning and study for the afternoon. Or, I take DS down to the skate park on afternoons or weekends and I study while he plays. Or I study while he's at dancing.