+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did you get ahead?

Like a lot of you, I have a baby and am presently unemployed while I care for him full-time. DH isn't working but not for want of trying so we are on welfare.

I've just recently moved into a new rental and I'm looking around at the sparseness, the fact that we don't have much furniture, watch our money frugally, save for bills such as rego, electricity etc and there just doesn't ever seem to be enough.

And I'm thinking will there ever be enough? It's like we're in a cycle of some sort - each pay day you spend on fuel, food, baby stuff and you have a little bit left that you put away and hope you don't need for the rest of the fortnight. DH and I are banging our heads together trying to figure a way to get out of this but we're clueless.

How did you get ahead? Is there some sort of plan I need to follow? It's just getting me down today...

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    has he been out and applyed for any and every possible job ?
    can he sign up to one of the job agaencies type places to get help getting a job ?
    centerlink sometimes help with certain training ect (as in helping with course fees ect) i think if u have been out of work a while .

get out and speak to local shops /businesses ect and drop resumes around let people know u are looking . even if he has to look out of his regular feild just getting any job to get money in the meantime till something better comes along .

or can he stay home with bub and u get a job if your earning capasity is greater than his possibly ? ( like are u more trained in your particualar job so u might nab a job easier than him ?)

hope something coes up soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to *Need~More~Coffee~Please* For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: How did you get ahead?

Working heaps by taking what ever work i could get.
    I was in a terrible financial situation after being homeless. I had so much credit card debt from all the accommodation i had to pay for.
    So once i was in a house, it cost me half my income in rent and of course i was getting nowhere financially.
    I applied for a few jobs, got a position at coles- 30 hours a week. It wasn't enough money still so i got a second job at woolies a few months later-17.5hrs a week.
    I worked those crappy hours at night for 2 years and lived off little to no sleep as i still had to look after the kids during the day. I paid off all my debt and saved $20k so that i could move interstate and spend some time studying.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly - it doesn't sound like you're going to get 'ahead' for a while. Don't feel bad -most people aren't at the moment! Just focus on not getting into debt - that would be a killer.

Best of luck x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Honestly - it doesn't sound like you're going to get 'ahead' for a while. Don't feel bad -most people aren't at the moment! Just focus on not getting into debt - that would be a killer.

Best of luck x
    Good advice. I've followed your story when you were looking for housing...now that you have somewhere just take a minute to take a breath and be kind to yourself.
    Focus on keeping on top of things (no credit card, no debt), and just put those tiny bits aside when you can. Even if its just keeping a change jar.

Good luck, we're all sending you good vibes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your DH isn't working, could you work while he looks after bub? Or could you do night fill at a local supermarket? Or you could take on a a program of study externally and work away at it so when bubs gets to school you have a qualification and employment opportunities?

If I were you, I'd write up a cover letter and send it to every business in your local area along with your resume putting in an expression of interest for any available opportunities.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you live near any hospitals? They usually are always looking for staff to work in the kitchen/ cafe/ giving out meals to the patients or cleaning, that type of thing. Actually doesn't pay too badly either...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does it mean when you say he's been trying to get a job? Has he tried to get ANY job.. even if it's a job he doesn't like? Alot of people I find say they can't get a job when in fact what they mean is they can't get a job in the area they want so they remain unemployed.

Tell him to apply for a day job in a supermarket or fast food type place. If he's already done that the only thing he can do is to keep doing that.

As for saving money I have no suggestions as I'm not very good at that lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Work out who is the more qualified or possible higher income earner between the two of you and then work out who works FT.

Mission Australia, centacare and the salvos all help with job placement.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It is so hard isn't it?

DH is studying and won't finish till mid year and due to my health I won't be returning to work this year.

We have a mortgage and 5 kids and are both on Centrelink payments. It just isn't enough Each bill we get, I have to ring and extend to the next bill is due which means late payment fees But we just don't have hundreds of dollars laying around spare

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post: