+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Dress to go to a wedding

We are going to a wedding in a few months and I am in freak out mode! I have been told that a cocktail dress is required and I do not do dresses I guess if I have to wear one it would be a long one but how can you choose a jacket or something to go with it without looking like an idiot? I am so gonna look like an idiot. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it, I am fairly tall and thin but don't want to go tight... Aghhhhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can wear dress pants, heels and a dressy top to 'cocktail dress' events.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-01-2013),bpac  (30-01-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (30-01-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Dress to go to a wedding

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yep, you can still be dressed to suit the occasion in pants.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Dress to go to a wedding

This. Or a simple pencil skirt with heels and an amazing formal top. Classic black maxi with an awesome necklace?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-01-2013),bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

IMHO If you've been told that a cocktail dress is required then I think that is what you should wear.
    Shop around, I'm sure you'll find something. Try vintage if you don't want to go tight (I hate most dresses in shops now - too tight, too low, can't wear a bra etc) so I buy quite a lot from vintage style places. Lots are online though so you take a bit of a punt with sizing.
    People keep suggesting ASOS to me it I haven't looked yet.

I've got two weddings coming up where I will be 23 and then 31 weeks pg, not looking forward to shopping for those!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    IMHO If you've been told that a cocktail dress is required then I think that is what you should wear.
    Shop around, I'm sure you'll find something. Try vintage if you don't want to go tight (I hate most dresses in shops now - too tight, too low, can't wear a bra etc) so I buy quite a lot from vintage style places. Lots are online though so you take a bit of a punt with sizing.
    People keep suggesting ASOS to me it I haven't looked yet.

I've got two weddings coming up where I will be 23 and then 31 weeks pg, not looking forward to shopping for those!
    Interesting because I interpret 'cocktail dress' as the dress code and not literally meaning a 'dress'..

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-01-2013),bpac  (30-01-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Interesting because I interpret 'cocktail dress' as the dress code and not literally meaning a 'dress'..
    Yep - if cocktail dress is on invite, this generally refers to the dress code.

I also agree with dress pants, lovely top with statement jewellery would work fine if you are really against dresses. No point being uncomfortable all night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Regarding the jacket, depending on the dress a tailored black jacket can look quite nice. But I think you would need to wear heels to pull this off, being tall myself I don't do heels. If you're wearing flats then a cropped cardi or sleeved cocktail dress may be your go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It being "cocktail dress" doesn't mean "All women MUST wear dresses," so you should be able to wear something appropriate without having to go buy some stupid thing you feel uncomfortable in and would never otherwise wear.

I would personally be going something like this if I were you: http://images.smh.com.au/2012/08/01/...=1343816447547

Basically some slim cigarette pants, the cut off right at the ankle, some heels, a nice top, nice hairdo, clutch, maybe some pretty earrings and a necklace depending on what you're wearing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

OP says she has been told "a cocktail dress is required", not that the general dress code is cocktail?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

bpac  (30-01-2013)