+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Government Selection Criterion help

Im currently employed (and recently went back after maternity leave) however Im not enjoying my old job anymore and a job that interests me has come up for our state government.
    However I havent written a job application for at least 4 years and not since becoming a mum. So any help would be greatly appreciated:

a) Do I mention on my resume that I was on maternity leave at all? as in I have current job: 2009 - now but do I need to include I had 17months off?

b) One of the criterion is:
    experience in handling and caring for babies. So again do I mention that I have a 21month old daughter so therefore experience in that area

c) another criteria is availability to do shift work: Again if I have mentioned my daughter above anywhere should I include that I have a mixture of daycare, my DH and relatives available to watch my child? Or does that not need to be mentioned.

So as you can see most of my 'issues' involve whether I mention I have a child. I do have examples of those other things without mentioning DD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Government Selection Criterion help

Hi Isabellabean,

As a current gov employee, no there is no need to mention your maternity leave as you were considered continuous employment. even on leave you are still a current employee holding the position number.

As for the criterion regarding experience with children - def mention your experience ie with your own child.

As for the travel. I would just discuss the fact that your willing and able to partake in this task without any issue and reference any other work related travel you have undertaken. They wont really be interested in your personal circumstances ie child care and will discuss that in detail at an interview if they have concerns... hope That helps

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snugglepot1 For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (30-01-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglepot1 View Post
    Hi Isabellabean,

As a current gov employee, no there is no need to mention your maternity leave as you were considered continuous employment. even on leave you are still a current employee holding the position number.

As for the criterion regarding experience with children - def mention your experience ie with your own child.

As for the travel. I would just discuss the fact that your willing and able to partake in this task without any issue and reference any other work related travel you have undertaken. They wont really be interested in your personal circumstances ie child care and will discuss that in detail at an interview if they have concerns... hope That helps

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    ^^ This
    (I'm also a current gov employee)
    I would definitely include in your application that you have been caring for your own daughter ( as well as any other children)
    And a heads up they like you to answer the criteria using the "S.T.A.R" method - situation / task, action, result.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Government Selection Criterion help

Yes S.T.A.R as silly or as simple/common sense as it may sound to you include all your examples unsing this method to even get a look in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Heaps

Yes I knew about the STAR method however after getting a friend who has had a few gov't jobs read through one of my criteria she said I need to exaggerate ( in a truthful way but with far more descriptive words in result)a fair bit more, lol. Why is making myself sound 'good' so hard to do?

Anyway as I said thanks now I doubt I will get the job as its in a completely different field to anything I have ever done but oh well no harm in trying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Isabellabean View Post
    Im currently employed (and recently went back after maternity leave) however Im not enjoying my old job anymore and a job that interests me has come up for our state government.
    However I havent written a job application for at least 4 years and not since becoming a mum. So any help would be greatly appreciated:

a) Do I mention on my resume that I was on maternity leave at all? as in I have current job: 2009 - now but do I need to include I had 17months off?

b) One of the criterion is:
    experience in handling and caring for babies. So again do I mention that I have a 21month old daughter so therefore experience in that area

c) another criteria is availability to do shift work: Again if I have mentioned my daughter above anywhere should I include that I have a mixture of daycare, my DH and relatives available to watch my child? Or does that not need to be mentioned.

So as you can see most of my 'issues' involve whether I mention I have a child. I do have examples of those other things without mentioning DD.
    A) no... Don't mention your mat leave just put the dates for employment that you do have and let the employer draw their own conclusions. They probably won't even notice.

B) absolutely yes yes yes! Relate any experience you have (paid, unpaid) to the criteria

C) I would just mention that you are able to work shiftwork. Don't mention your child at all as this may raise doubts. If the panel has any questions they can ask you in interview.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies I heard today that I have moved onto the interview stage
    Now to plan for that - its been so long since Ive done one of those as well.

Does anyone have any insight on specific questions that they might ask being a government job that would be different from the usual - tell me about yourself, strengths/weaknesses? etc.

Also as I mentioned in my original post its for something I have never done before in my life/not related to previous jobs and in an area of health (audiology) - should I try to find out as much technical stuff as possible or because the job requires no specific qualifications will that kind of thing not come up?

oh dear, Im stressing I am going to just go blank or say something really stupid

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Well done in getting to interview.
    I would research the organisation and see if they are going through any changes/challenges.

They will ask you questions for each criteria. I'd brainstorm possible questions. If there is a strategic criteria they could ask you a curly one about the organisations current direction. I've heard of private and public sectors ask the question "tell us about a time you made a mistake." They are looking for honesty, they ability to self reflect. Basically are you able to admit when you're wrong and can you pro-actively do something to fix the situation.

Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on getting an interview!!!!
    I have been asked at each interview (gov) tell me about an obstacle and how you overcame it. This can be work or personal related.
    I have also been asked "do you think you are a lucky person" this question threw me I answered something along the lines of I have made my own luck. (i got the job but may have bombed on this question)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (07-02-2013)