+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I always wonder why people like Tony Abbott. What is it about his views and policies, why do you think liberals will do a better job?
    It may end up very similar to Campbell Newman, once he's in people will detest him yet few will admit to voting for him...
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 31-01-2013 at 07:16.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    I always wonder why people like Tony Abbott. What is it about his views and policies, why do you think liberals will do a better job?
    My thoughts EXACTLY! The sad truth is that many Abbott fans are either blind liberal supporters or un-educated so & so's who believe Abbott's vague, politics 101 bull. They ignorantly blame the current government for their troubles and perceived owed entitlements, then gladly fall for the promises of the new guy.

I used to be a liberal fan back in the Howard days, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Abbott has no substance or integrity. I'm so sick of hearing him blantantly trash talk the labor government and stubbornly oppose everything proposed by Labor - then not-so-subtly putting forward his own, almost identical policies with itty-bitty changes.

I for one am glad it is going to be a long election, because Tony can't keep up his nice-guy act for long. He can reference the John Howard years and 'trust' till the cows come home, but eventually he is going to have to get mighty specific about his policy and budget - and we all know he is not shown much ability in that area.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atkogirl85 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atkogirl85;
    many Abbott fans are either blind liberal supporters or un-educated so & so's who believe Abbott's vague, politics 101 bull:
    Or maybe they just see things differently to you ...

I am sitting on the fence for now, I want to see how this all pans out (the campaigns), I think Australians are starting to become aware that things can be done better, and we want them done better. We want parliament to find solutions to problems, not just meet to backstab each other, criticise each other, he-said she-said like the childish behaviour of recent times. Which ever party can prove that they have real solutions for the people will win. a long campaign gives us enough time to see if they are full of it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

JessicaBailey  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

If this is the case, surely you can apply for a postal vote?

This is from the AEC website:

Early vote: in person or by post
    You can vote early either in person or by post if on election day you:

are outside the electorate where you are enrolled to vote
    are more than 8km from a polling place
    are travelling
    can't leave your workplace to vote
    are seriously ill, infirm or due to give birth shortly (or caring for someone who is)
    are a patient in hospital and can't vote at the hospital
    have religious beliefs that prevent you from attending a polling place
    are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or otherwise detained
    are a silent elector
    have a reasonable fear for your safety.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: And we have an election date ... 14 September

Like I said earlier, it's the whole party we vote for, not the face of it... And I'm glad it's that way, I don't go much on Julia or Tony.

The only thing that will sway my vote regarding Julia or Tony, specifically, is that I would be embarrased for our country for Tony Abbott to represent us at international meetings... Could you imagine the silly things that he would say?! :what:

I still have no idea who I'll be voting for, this will only be my second time. Last election, I asked my parents who to vote for as I had no idea but this time I'll pay more attention. I'll be paying close attention to promises for families and carers for those with disabilities, one that impacts my family now and one that will impact us in the future. Other than that, I don't know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    True... but this isn't his first election and I found it nigh-on impossible to get a straight answer of detail then, now or any point in-between. Add that to the multiple personality flaws exampled in a previous post, its hard to understand why...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atkogirl85 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me the main difference between the parties is that the Liberals improve people's personal wealth (at the sake of those who are less able to look after themselves or the environment) whereas the Labor party tries to improve the position of those less well off at the expense of the wealthier. Over the years that has eroded the wealth of the middle class as well, with the cut offs for benefits impacting at around $140k, which for people who had those benefits seems harsh.

So I guess if you're a liberal supporter you tend to ask "what's in it for me" whereas if you're labour you have to look at the bigger picture ( if you earn more than $140k).

Personally my family would be far better off under a liberal government, but I couldn't live with myself if I voted for them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-01-2013),Maybelline  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post

I am sitting on the fence for now, I want to see how this all pans out (the campaigns), I think Australians are starting to become aware that things can be done better, and we want them done better. We want parliament to find solutions to problems, not just meet to backstab each other, criticise each other, he-said she-said like the childish behaviour of recent times. Which ever party can prove that they have real solutions for the people will win. a long campaign gives us enough time to see if they are full of it!
    I don't think the backstabbing is limited to Labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    For me the main difference between the parties is that the Liberals improve people's personal wealth (at the sake of those who are less able to look after themselves or the environment) whereas the Labor party tries to improve the position of those less well off at the expense of the wealthier. Over the years that has eroded the wealth of the middle class as well, with the cut offs for benefits impacting at around $140k, which for people who had those benefits seems harsh.

So I guess if you're a liberal supporter you tend to ask "what's in it for me" whereas if you're labour you have to look at the bigger picture ( if you earn more than $140k).

Personally my family would be far better off under a liberal government, but I couldn't live with myself if I voted for them.
    Well we won't be earning $140k in the foreseeable future :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't think the backstabbing is limited to Labour.
    Nor do I, I don't remember implying that I did?