+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The libs had an 11 billion dollar black hole in their costings at the last election, good with money my foot!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Who's to say the jobs aren't necessary? The new Qld premier has cut 15,000 jobs from the public service in the last 12 months or so. He has made cuts all over the place including funding to programs that support 'at risk' children/youth which is incredibly short sighted. A friend's husband recently lost his job along with all of his colleagues. Their jobs were to service, maintain and repair equipment at hospitals, everything from electrics, machinery, etc that keeps the place running. All the people in the area (approximately 100) have lost their jobs. There will be 8 new roles that will now cover all hospitals. This mass cutting of jobs is insane and in this case, will endanger people's lives. Not only that but the premier also changed the redundancy packages so people are only entitled to diddly-squat. Then there is the knock on effect. I have a work at home job that often relies on consultants being employed by the government. As there's no jobs currently my hours have been drastically cut to virtually nothing. If I were to try and find a contract in my usual profession the rates are currently half what they were just 2 years ago (when I last worked). I can't afford to get a hair cut, swimming lessons for the kids or get a sparky in to get our electrics up to code so there's more knock on effect. This is a liberal government who are 'supposed' to excel at economics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default And we have an election date ... 14 September

The mining tax is a total furphy. I'll be surprised if mining companies ever pay a cent (none have to date), their accountants are pretty good at what they do. And that will be no surprise at all to the government who will have known all along the this would happen.

Meanwhile the government is sitting back thinking "awesome, now all the environmentalists/anti-capitalists think we're on their side, votes secure, and mining companies aren't hating us either *cue evil laughter* bwah ha ha"

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will never understand why people are against the mining tax, these multinationals are making huge amounts of money mining our land, and it won't last forever, it is only right that the country makes some money out of it. After all, you don't live in a rental and not pay rent. Why should these private companies make billions and not pay tax on it? The mind boggles.
    I any actually find any figures that state how much the government has received from this tax all I could find was that it is unknown. Before everyone starts on about how great it is does anyone actually know if anyone has actually paid any?

And I'm sorry but the government gets a **** load of taxes from the mining sector it's called income tax.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I do agree that if the work is there than the jobs should not be axed but I do not agree with continuing to employ people in empty roles.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I any actually find any figures that state how much the government has received from this tax all I could find was that it is unknown. Before everyone starts on about how great it is does anyone actually know if anyone has actually paid any?

And I'm sorry but the government gets a **** load of taxes from the mining sector it's called income tax.
    As I mentioned above, no mining companies have paid anything under the mining tax to date.

A lot of people in 'mining states' like WA & QLD are also against the mining tax as there is a sense of 'us supporting the rest of the country', yet those in other states don't have to put up with any of the draw backs of mining (house prices, rent, general cost of living, transport, labour shortages...the list goes on). We also WANT mining companies to be successful and make lots of money so they can keep employing tens of thousands of people!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    As I mentioned above, no mining companies have paid anything under the mining tax to date.

A lot of people in 'mining states' like WA & QLD are also against the mining tax as there is a sense of 'us supporting the rest of the country', yet those in other states don't have to put up with any of the draw backs of mining (house prices, rent, general cost of living, transport, labour shortages...the list goes on). We also WANT mining companies to be successful and make lots of money so they can keep employing tens of thousands of people!
    If there are such drawbacks related to the mining sector then why dies everyone I know want a job in it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They haven't paid any as yet, because it kicks in a a stupid percentage figure, when really, they should pay tax on all earnings, just like everyone else in the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    If there are such drawbacks related to the mining sector then why dies everyone I know want a job in it?
    Jobs IN it are great, to live around it but not work in it is shocking! $1500 per week rent on a three bedroom house. $12 for a lettuce. No seats on flights out of town if you need to go to capital city for a funeral. It's very difficult for families who have considered these towns home since before the mining boom, and are now suffering the consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Because it pays the bills and its a lifestyle choice (for us).

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will never understand why people are against the mining tax, these multinationals are making huge amounts of money mining our land, and it won't last forever, it is only right that the country makes some money out of it. After all, you don't live in a rental and not pay rent. Why should these private companies make billions and not pay tax on it? The mind boggles.
    This this this this this, a thousand times this.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    This is a liberal government who are 'supposed' to excel at economics.
    I actually think that conservative government is only good at economics that line the pocket of the affluent, they are not however good at economics across the whole community. As you mentioned, the knock on effects of newmans razor gang will be terrible for the economy and will come around and bite him on the ****. Just think of all of the former Qld government workers who have no capacity to donate to the flood recovery, because they are without jobs. Newman now gets to see that balancing a budget amidst a natural disasters is easier said than done.

I have read somewhere that historically conservative governments have proven less effective at managing the economy.