+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    So not surprising. I think I would fall off my seat if he released a policy. All they ever do is say "no" to everything labor has ever done and wants to do and never put forward any meaningful policies. PP mentioned before that he is going to make childcare more affordable. How? How is he going to do that? No mention of anything like that of course. What did we expect?

I just hope that the majority of people voting, aren't stupid to vote them in AND give them a majority in the senate. But I suspect they are. I really think we should all be made to do a course on how politics works, how our government works, the senate and all of those things. I hear too many people interviewed who say things like "I'm voting for Tony because Julia's a *****". It makes me crazy when I realise how many votes are wasted on buffoons who don't have a clue about what it all means. Arrrghh.
    I can't agree with this more! Politics aren't taught in high school, we turn 18 and are suddenly eligible to vote, having no idea how it works. The first time that I voted, I was unaware that you're voting for a seat rather than who the leader will be. At present, I don't think I will be voting for either of the two major parties, but for an independent (or smaller party) to gain an extra seat. We need these smaller parties in there to contest ludicrous propositions by the party in government.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 01-02-2013 at 08:04.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I can't agree with this more! Politics aren't taught in high school, we turn 18 and are suddenly eligible to vote, having no idea how it works. The first time that I voted, I was unaware that you're voting voting for a seat rather than who the leader will be. At present, I don't think I will be voting for either of the two major parties, but for an independent (or smaller party) to gain an extra seat. We need these smaller parties in there to contest ludicrous propositions by the party in government.
    I learnt politics at school, I thought it was compulsory? I did go to school a very long time ago though Plus my parents were always talking about politics as they were business people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I learnt politics at school, I thought it was compulsory? I did go to school a very long time ago though Plus my parents were always talking about politics as they were business people.
    I'm only 22. It certainly wasn't compulsory when I was at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Government is taught in year 5&6 at school. Well in nsw anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Government is taught in year 5&6 at school. Well in nsw anyway.
    I'm glad to hear it is now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can't agree with this more! Politics aren't taught in high school, we turn 18 and are suddenly eligible to vote, having no idea how it works. The first time that I voted, I was unaware that you're voting for a seat rather than who the leader will be. At present, I don't think I will be voting for either of the two major parties, but for an independent (or smaller party) to gain an extra seat. We need these smaller parties in there to contest ludicrous propositions by the party in government.
    I am 41 and learnt about politics in high school as part of social studies. Personally I don't understand why people don't educate themselves about it. Politicians can be extremely boring but the business of running government and how it governs is not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I'm glad to hear it is now
    It's been taught in year 5&6 for years. Every year, loads of year 5 &6 students go to Canberra for a camp. I was in year 6 in 1988 and we learnt about government went to Canberra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im 21 and I do not remember learning any type of politics until highschool and even then it was in not endepth & you only got the basics if you undertook the subject of law which most did not so they ended up cancelling the subject after 3 months lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Politics were spoken about in our house too as my parents own a small business. I finished school in 1996 (so, so long ago) and I was taught politics in primary school (vic) and in the first years of high school (qld).

I think once you pick your own subjects some people probably don't get to learn it.

Pretty interesting how it all works actually, now that I'm older it makes more sense. The politicians don't, but the theory does I suppose

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's been taught in year 5&6 for years. Every year, loads of year 5 &6 students go to Canberra for a camp. I was in year 6 in 1988 and we learnt about government went to Canberra.
    We went to Canberra in yr 5 too, but we didn't learn much about the way politics works. I think it's more important in high school.