+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    But he does plan to make childcare more affordable and increase the parental leave
    The last thing I would listen to is election promises.
    From both parties.

Newman is just the tip of the ice berg to what will happen when TA gets in.

Liberals don't give a crap about the less fortunate, the homeless, aboriginal rights, women's shelters etc they would not bat an eyelid at cutting welfare.
    Considering I am shortly going to start working in some of the fields above it just cares me that TA will most likely be PM.

"a country is judged by how it treats it's poor"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    To suggest those that prefer Abbott are blind liberal or uneducated is quite rude. Just because someone has a different opinion to yours doesn't mean they are uneducated.

Just a few of the things that have occurred since Gillard has been pm and my reasons for not liking her or labour;
    1. Just look at how she treated Rudd, (yep she's just a lovely person.. not)
    We can only speculate how that panned out and it's not the first time a party has changed leaders mid term. I think it would be somewhat naive to think that it was all her doing.

2. She has introduced the rebate changes to the health insurance
    My understanding is that this affects families who earn over $170k and have PHI.

3. Intoduced Carbon tax (something she promised not to do, yep she's very honest...not)
    Are you telling me she's the first politician to reneg on an election promise?

4. She has slashed the defense budget (this should be of upmost importance)
    Defence budgets go up and down all the time. Anyway, according to this we are ranked 13th in the world for defence budget.

5. She was responsible for the changes meaning IVF costs increased
    That obviously sucks for those that are needing to use IVF

6. she cut 1.6billion to hospital funding
    That also sucks. I'd like to see how these figures have trended over the years though.

7. She also slashed the budget re border security
    I'm a bit meh about this.

8. The mining tax
    I think the minig tax is a terrific idea. Mining is finite and requires removal of resources from our country. Why shouldn't all Australian's be advantaged from our resources rather than just the mining CEOs and share holders?

Just a few of my reasons, I have lots more but don't have time to be sitting here all day
    I've made some very quick comments above (in bold). My overall point is that statements such as those above need to be taken in context. We can all read how terrible it is (for example) that a particular budget has been cut but lets look at trends over the years, the cost/benefits etc.

Personally I can't believe that any woman could vote for a man (well, ok, a party with a man in charge) who has said the most ignorant and iill-informed statements as those quoted by Atropos.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default And we have an election date ... 14 September

To suggest those that prefer Abbott are blind liberal or uneducated is quite rude. Just because someone has a different opinion to yours doesn't mean they are uneducated.

Just a few of the things that have occurred since Gillard has been pm and my reasons for not liking her or labour;
    3. Intoduced Carbon tax (something she promised not to do, yep she's very honest...not)
    8. The mining tax

Just a few of my reasons, I have lots more but don't have time to be sitting here all day
    1. Old news, we've already re-elected her after that. And you cant have a leader if his party don't support you, so they blindly follow him or get someone in to get the job done? They did the right thing. She's a stronger leader, it's not a popularity contest.
    2. Doesn't affect anyone with a low middle income.
    3. I agree with carbon tax.
    4. Don't care.
    5. Superficial
    6. Liberal will cut more and has in the past.
    7. Don't care.
    8. So they should tax mining.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

8. The mining tax

I don't actually have a problem with most of these. Yes the rebate changes hurt me, but they were unnecessary to begin with. It was vote buying and middle class welfare. The Carbon Tax is essential - the rest of the world has it and is fine. Australians generally don't understand it's purpose. The Liberal party will not get rid of it I can guarantee.

As for IVF costs, these were again largely the fault of most IVF practitioners who gouged the medicare system and overcharged. I used IVF so I know how it affected me.

I personally believe Australia spends too much on defense, but I know I won't win a lot of friends with that view. As for the mining tax, the billion dollar companies can afford it. Cry me a river.

My essential problem with some these issues is they take money off the wealthy and seek to redistribute it to those in need. How could anyone have a problem with that?

As for the Carbon Tax, people need to actually understand it before they get upset. I worked in emissions trading for a while and it is part of such a bigger picture. To not have one means Australia is left out of a very large part of the world economy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

We can only speculate how that panned out and it's not the first time a party has changed leaders mid term. I think it would be somewhat naive to think that it was all her doing.

My understanding is that this affects families who earn over $170k and have PHI.

Are you telling me she's the first politician to reneg on an election promise?

Defence budgets go up and down all the time. Anyway, according to this we are ranked 13th in the world for defence budget.

That obviously sucks for those that are needing to use IVF

That also sucks. I'd like to see how these figures have trended over the years though.

I'm a bit meh about this.

8. The mining tax
    I think the minig tax is a terrific idea. Mining is finite and requires removal of resources from our country. Why shouldn't all Australian's be advantaged from our resources rather than just the mining CEOs and share holders?

I've made some very quick comments above (in bold). My overall point is that statements such as those above need to be taken in context. We can all read how terrible it is (for example) that a particular budget has been cut but lets look at trends over the years, the cost/benefits etc.

Personally I can't believe that any woman could vote for a man (well, ok, a party with a man in charge) who has said the most ignorant and iill-informed statements as those quoted by Atropos.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I was reading today that Abbot was going to cut the School Kids Bonus. While as I do not qualify for this I wonder how many more welfare payments he will cut.

I will see if I can find the news article and link it.

ETA http://www.news.com.au/national/tony...-1226565865736
    I'm glad he has promised to abolish it

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    What issues ..interested to know ...
    Um the issues she bought up in the quote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We've got some serious spamming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1) John Howards said he would (and I quote) "never ever" bring in the GST and he did. Liar, liar pants on fire.
    2) They took chunks out medicare and bulk billing
    3)The NSW libs have will slash 1.7 billion from our states education system.
    4) Campbell Newmans job cuts may add up to around 15,000
    5) Electricity prices have been on the up for years, in fact over 80% in the last five years - why does no one jump up and down over that? Where are all the people who are screaming over the carbon tax. I mean FFS, this was happening well before the carbon tax. ugh.
    7) O'Farrell has slashed state health funding by 1.58 million, and that is in one year.

Labor

1) Bought in Baby bonus and paid parental leave
    3) kept Australian construction afloat during a weakened economy and managed to throw in a free new hall for all schools
    4) Bought in the mining tax (though it should kick in at from the start of any profit)
    5) Back stabbed a politician - just like every other politician
    6) Made childcare more affordable with the 50% rebate

And as to the whole Rudd backstabbing thing. Seriously, the bloody libs did the EXACT same thing to John Hewson. Politicians are all the same.
    Last edited by beebs; 31-01-2013 at 17:35.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (31-01-2013),rainbow road  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Anybody who brings up the carbon tax has no idea how a hung parliament works. Tony Windsor even said that Tony Abbott promised to introduce it if the independents went with him. And Tony Abbott supported a carbon tax once upon a time http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12PN66IBoPs

Also, anybody know Tony Abbott's record as health minister? Brutal!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-01-2013),beebs  (31-01-2013)