+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    If only Julia Gillard supported gay marriage. For me, that's the biggest downfall

And I think if she did, she'd grab a whole lot more votes, too.
    Maybe she's saving it up for pre-election, like the week before voting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    No but I'm also not happy with a lot of the changes the currant government have introduced, more so than I am about the issues you have brought up.
    Really? I would not have picked that, having read lots of your posts. His stance on women alone is enough to put me right off, his lovely instructions to Australian housewives doing the ironing was one thing, poorly worded blather at best, but his statement that "Abortion is the easy way out" was pretty disgusting!
    Another thing he said that angers me- ” I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak”

Of course we all vote for whoever we wish, I was just surprised to see you were a TA supporter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Maybe she's saving it up for pre-election, like the week before voting
    I'd love to see that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Both parties need to support a vote to change the marriage act and if anything the Libs are the ones stopping that. Julia has said she won't support it while she's pm, but that doesn't mean she will never bring it to a vote. The greens support the change, more of them with a seat regardless who's in charge will have some power over that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do people factor in their state government party when deciding who to vote for federally?

I've read some commentaries from people who will generally vote for the opposite party to whoever is in for their state (e.g if their state is liberal then they vote federal labour) so that there are always a mix of views governing the country.

It is seen by some as a more wholistic way of viewing parliament rather than just being labour/liberal supporters 'in principle'

But then again if you're happy with how your state is being run then why wouldn't you want that same parties principles for the whole country?

Decisions decisions...

Thanks
    Reviews

Ugh and you should all feel sorry for us in WA, we've got state elections in 6 weeks so its double campaigning over here!

Have yet to see an ad from the opposition stating what they will actually DO, always just bagging what the incumbent has/hasn't done. Any idiot can trash talk. Yawn...

Thanks
    Reviews

Also can't believe you can bet on the election results (hello gamblers anonymous anyone?)
    ALP $4.05
    Coalition $1.23

So there you have it, Sportsbet says liberal for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: And we have an election date ... 14 September

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    For me the main difference between the parties is that the Liberals improve people's personal wealth (at the sake of those who are less able to look after themselves or the environment) whereas the Labor party tries to improve the position of those less well off at the expense of the wealthier. Over the years that has eroded the wealth of the middle class as well, with the cut offs for benefits impacting at around $140k, which for people who had those benefits seems harsh.

So I guess if you're a liberal supporter you tend to ask "what's in it for me" whereas if you're labour you have to look at the bigger picture ( if you earn more than $140k).

Personally my family would be far better off under a liberal government, but I couldn't live with myself if I voted for them.
    Totally agree with you. Financially, we would probably be better off under a liberal "all for the upper middle class" government. But voting Liberal means going against pretty much everything I believe in!

I guess it is Labor for me. Though, the Australian Sex Party have really great policy. I really think they could be quite popular if they had a name change. I doubt the greater Australian population would take them seriously with their current one!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Renn  (31-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Really? I would not have picked that, having read lots of your posts.
    I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was reading today that Abbot was going to cut the School Kids Bonus. While as I do not qualify for this I wonder how many more welfare payments he will cut.

I will see if I can find the news article and link it.

ETA http://www.news.com.au/national/tony...-1226565865736