+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Question Camping

I have never been and would love to go. We have 5 children, this includes one baby.

We have so far:

Porta cot
    Take along burner thing to cook on
    Trestle table
    Tent
    sleeping bags

So, what else do you need when camping? I know I will need to get cutlery and plates etc and probably a big eski?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Toilet paper!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping

The best thing we did was set up a 'kitchen' in a tool box. It is on wheels, and has everything we need for camping - cutlery, plates, cups, utensils, dishwashing liquid, tea towels, sponges, torch, matches, sunscreen, insect repellant. We bought a plastic tool box from bunnings to put it all in.

We've just been away for 3 days with 2 dogs and our 1 year old. A plastic tub is great for washing plates and kids, and is useful for storing all those little bits and pieces you want on hand - hats, sunscreen, shoes etc. You'll probably want chairs or at least a picnic rug too. A sun shelter could be handy too for the kids to sit under. I just have a cheap one from Kmart that works well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definately a big esky & id be getting dry ice insteadve reg ice just cause it lasts longer and you wont have to be regularly getting ice. When it comes to cutlery etc we just went disposable ... were lazy i suppose.
    Not sure how old your kids are but id be taking some board games and coloring in books etc. even as kids to us ( i guess because every year we did it ) its got uite boring. Fishing rods if yall fish or are going somewhere fishing able. Take torches or lanterns and plenty of batteries ( you can even get those LED ones from supercheap that charge us directly from the car battery or through the car lighter)
    Invest in one of those solar showers if your planning on camping where theres no facilities. It basically a black bag with a hose lead on it you sit in ont he roof of your car in the sun and it heats up. if you have little littlies then one of those big storage tubs helps as a make shift bath. Having no idea where your planning on going or what type of car you have make sure you have tools, a jack , jumper leads and a spare tyre always essential lol. Lots of suncreen and insect repellent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Are these tool box things expensive?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping

I suggest 2 eskys and the kind that keep ice for 5 days. One for drinks and one for food as you don't want the food one being opened 50+ times a day.
    How remote will you be going? Most national parks have long drops but otherwise I suggest a bucket or portapotty for toileting. You may also need to take a lot of fresh water.
    Tarp and tent poles or pop up gazebo for undercover area that isn't your tent.
    Those shower things that is a bag you leave in the sun to warm up is a god send if you are going for more than a couple of days.
    Blow up mattresses or camp beds to keep you off the ground.
    Something to keep the non perishable food in that is away from animals - those plastic tubs with snap on lids are good.
    Insect repellant - those citronella and sandlewood incense sticks that are a meter long and stick in the ground are good as well as aerogard or similar.
    If its something your considering doing a fair bit I'd probably look into getting a camp trailer instead of a tent for 7 people.
    That's all I can think of for now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gnomesy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure where we would go just yet, but gosh, you need quite a bit of stuff... will need a trailor or something to take it all

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping

I'm pretty sure ours was about $60? I just found some heavier duty ones on the bunnings website that are $80, so it wasn't that much. It's a Trojan brand ones, has wheels on one end and a pull up handle on the other.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you all fit everything in your car?!!! Or do you take a trailer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You shouldnt need a trailer. We have gone camping in our VT taken more then ample what we needed and fit very comfortably (but then we only had 4 people to cater for) but growing up we used to go camping every christmas and there were 5 of us we only ever went in a sedan. You should be fine if your good at playing tetris :P