+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well as a single parent from the very start, DS has always kept with me. But he has his own bed too and now flls asleep either in his own bed or mine, but always wakes up in mine. Anyway, while I do agree with co-sleeping, it makes no actual difference at bed-time. DS never cries or screams but does protest bedtime, no matter which bed he sleeps in.

The article implies we all lovingly go to bed with our little ones, but in this day and age how is that possible? We are busy, we need to stay up later than 7pm and get stuff done. Realistically, our society is far more complicated these days and most of us work away from home too so our children need much more independence from a younger age. It's a far cry from village and hunter gather simple lives of the past or in other parts of the world where people live like that. Plus, while many of us like/agree with co-sleeping, for many it's not a natural extension of parenting. We are not all the same, as simplistic and idealistic this article suggests it should be. It may be somewhat exclusive to western society, but that's because we are progressive and live very differently and have the luxury of choice. It implies societies where mothers wear their babies and co-sleep are more natural parents than us westerners, but the author fails to consider that perhaps it's simply a case of having no or little choice to co-sleep, rather than doing it naturally per se.

I doubt I'd have dramas getting DS to bed at night if I went to bed with him, but I can't. He's already asleep by the time I hop in bed, so yeah it makes no difference to bed-time rituals and routine.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did see the section- didn't notice it was an old post though. I don't see any problem with what I said. Being in the co-sleeping section doesn't disqualify it from scrutiny. I have no problem with co-sleeping. I can see the many benefits of co-sleeping. But the article was extremely emotive to the point of being highly offensive to people who choose not to co sleep. Suicide? Suggesting that placid babies who are happy to sleep on their own are genetically inferior? Come on. Where is the research? Where is the discovery of this very special co-sleeping gene? The article is a load of rubbish, I don't care what the content of it is.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (01-11-2013),VicPark  (31-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I did see the section- didn't notice it was an old post though. I don't see any problem with what I said. Being in the co-sleeping section doesn't disqualify it from scrutiny. I have no problem with co-sleeping. I can see the many benefits of co-sleeping. But the article was extremely emotive to the point of being highly offensive to people who choose not to co sleep. Suicide? Suggesting that placid babies who are happy to sleep on their own are genetically inferior? Come on. Where is the research? Where is the discovery of this very special co-sleeping gene? The article is a load of rubbish, I don't care what the content of it is.
    But why would a non co sleeper read a thread in a co sleeping section?

I know I don't read threads in some sections ie CC or anti vac because I'm against it.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

cassieh  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

Not to be rude, but that's an odd thing to say. Non co-sleepers would read this section for lots of reasons! Interest in the philosophy and practicality of it for example. I co-sleep half the night and am still trying to figure out if it's for me!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (01-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't have an issue with the article. The sentence re suicide, I thought, was pretty well explained - that to a baby being left alone at night means danger/fear. Babies are not logical creatures like us, they are primitive and only survive on instinct. I didn't love co-sleeping, and I think regarding SIDS it's not always the best in our society, although did it out of necessity at times but have no issue with people sharing positive co-sleeping articles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Not to be rude, but that's an odd thing to say. Non co-sleepers would read this section for lots of reasons! Interest in the philosophy and practicality of it for example. I co-sleep half the night and am still trying to figure out if it's for me!
    I read it as I am trying to understand what co-sleeping is all about. But I'm with Fearless Leader on this one, the article reads like a story, not a fact based piece.

That's not to criticise co-sleeping though, just that particular article.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to read article when I have time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of us some point in time whether is be a nap . or our child is sick or you just fall asleep with your child due to sheer exhaustion have co slept. @FearlessLeader says herself she does as her son often comes in her bed. I dont completely agree with the srticle and I dont co sleep for numerous reasons but with my 3rd baby on the way I like to be informed and keep.myself armed with as much knowledge as I can to make choices for my children. This does involve reading threads like pro co sleeping / pro bottle / pro breast you name it. Who cares if we read or post? Its a public forum. I do see co sleeping as having lots of benefits if it works for you that's great. It doesnt work for me, but doesn't mean im going to knock you down. Nor should it mean we cant read these threads out of interest.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

I know I don't read threads in some sections ie CC or anti vac because I'm against it.

Because I'm not anti co-sleeping? I thought the article might be interesting. This is the co-sleeping section, not the pro co-sleeping section. And re. anti CC people in the CC threads, I think there are levels of criticism that are acceptable, eg I am not 'anti' CC in all circumstances but if someone was saying 'my paed suggested shutting the door on my 5 week old and not going back till morning' then I'm going to say something, I don't care what section it's in. Similarly if someone posts an inflammatory article in the BFing section likening formula to poison I think it's fair enough if people call it out. Celebrate whatever you like, I just don't like it when opinion pieces (especially fairly strongly worded opinion pieces) are dressed up as 'evidence' for anything.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (01-11-2013),Renn  (01-11-2013)