+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Making mischief - how do my kids rank on the cheekiness scale!?

So basically my DS (just turned 6) and DD1 (turned 3 in Oct) are pretty good kids......I think.....sometimes! But DH has been deployed overseas the last 3 months, my patience is wearing thin and they just seem to come up with so much mischief to do together. Stuff that is funny in hindsight but not at the time which is usually right when I'm busy with DD2 (7 months), about to try and get out the door ON TIME somewhere or trying to get through the dinner/bath/bed madness.

In the last few weeks:

- putting DD2 to bed and notice it's quiet. Too quiet. Apart from some muffled giggles. Oh oh. Track down the giggles and find DS and DD1 belly surfing in bubble mixture on the laundry floor. In their clean PJ's after already having had a bath. And they just keep slipping and sliding and laughing even after I've caught them out.

- DS decides to cut DD1's hair. Apparently her hair was too long and he wanted to make her look more like a boy. Bit off a hack at the length (easy fixed) but also a few chunks abover her left ear. Luckily able to be covered by coming some long bits over but OMG. He is 6. He has done it before (to her and himself) and knows he is not supposed to cut it but just 'forgets' until after the deed. Not even a smigeon of guilt on his face when I caught him with scissors in hand. Just a puzzled "What Mum?" and then "oh yeah, I remember now" when I spell it out to him.

- Warning: TMI in this one! After bath DS and DD ask to go outside for a bit to catch an insect in their new bug catcher. I don't normally let them outside after bath but it was pretty early still so why not. Put DD2 to bed. Look outside and see PJ bottoms and undies and bug catcher on the lawn. No sign of the kids. Find them around the side of the house surrounded by their poo including spread on the pull down awning/blind that they'd used to wipe their backsides on in lieu of toilet paper. First DS blames it all on DD but eventually admits his part. Apparently they were playing 'camping' and tried to dig a hole in the gravel to make a bush toilet. Again though, DD had done this once before and they were both told that the only place to go to the toilet when here is a toilet is THE TOILET. No exceptions. Explained to DS the numerous reasons I was unhappy with them and finally see the lightbulb go off and he says "oh, I get it now!"

- this afternoon, with 20 mins left before we need to leave for swimming, i walk in the play rooom to see the craft box tipped on the floor (they are supposed to ask before getting it out of the cupboard) and they have painted their bodies with fluoro orange paint 'warrior' style. And keep adding more stripes after I've asked them to stop.

The thing that drives me crazy with all of these things is that even after I've caught them there is zero remorse. Which is usually the point I start getting a bit (ok, ALOT) cranky when they can see I'm not pleased and just don't seem to care.

So make me feel better and share some of the mischief your little and not so little ones have been up to lately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Ohhhhh the too quiet feeling is always so scary... Can't give much advice but I can relate to some of what you have written. What I can say is that my hat goes off to you, to have your partner away for so long of course you are gonna feel a bit thin. Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (29-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha cheeky buggers! I have a 2and almost 4 yr old, I can relate to everything you've written!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My 4 and 6 yr old DD's have been doing similar and total lack of remorse! Drives DP and me insane!!! Can't wait for school to go back - hopefully it will wear Miss 6 out enough to curb some of the behaviours

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

On the bright side it sounds like they have an awesome friendship

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (29-01-2013),headoverfeet  (30-01-2013),HugsBunny  (29-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS goes back to school tomorrow thank goodness. DD is going to miss him but without her ringleader will hopefully settle down. I know I should just be glad that they get along so well - just wish they could do it a bit more constructively! Am blaming DH's genes because according to his mum he had quite a few misadventures of his own as a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Making mischief - how do my kids rank on the cheekiness scale!?

Mine are too young to get up to that.much mischief yet but 3 of your stories made me chuckle!

Nice name, btw lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would find some of this behaviour extremely unacceptable for a 6 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    I would find some of this behaviour extremely unacceptable for a 6 year old.
    Did you misread the post? I believe the OP was looking for some camaraderie to make her feel better.

Your post is unnecessary in this thread.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (29-01-2013),Mulva  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow that would drive me insane! Unnacceptable or not you cant completely control what your kids do and everyone gets given a unique personality in a child, OP I take my hat off to you also doing it so often alone! I go mad with much more help! My 2.5yo does similar stuff to this not so much my 6yo but I think when there are younger siblings around sometimes they get a kind of 'baby syndrome' and decide to revert back to doing toddlery things when they see the younger ones doing it even though they know better!!!

Best advice I can give is try to keep everything 'messy' high out of reach and try to see the bright side of things on the inside... While at the same time making sure they are appropriately disciplined. which Im sure you already do..

Closest thing recently I can think of to this is my kids tore up a pillow and had fluff all through their room.. Oh and toilet training DS2 decided to wee sitting on the edge of the trampoline outside so DS1 joined him and yer.. Wee fountins lol.. ANd they are often found in the nude though generally DS2 strips off then DS1 will ask me 'Can I be naked like DS2' Unless we're going out I usually say yes because I really dont see them harm around the house lol!

Funniest thing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub