+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Male relief childcare carer.

I would love it - I love seeing men who can step into the Childcare role and do it as well as the women!

My DH is a registered nurse - imagine the horrible comments & discrimination he cops from people because nursing is seen as "a female role". I would never begrudge a male Childcare worker if they were capable and competent at their job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

We have a male carer on staff at ny kids centre, the kids love him. I have no issue

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

in my opinion there are not enough males in the early childhood sector and probably mainly due to peoples fear. i have worked in childcare and kids really responded to the male care givers. sadly it is probably the same fears keeping men out of teaching in general. my hubbie is a teacher and is the only male teacher in the whole school

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's fine, more power to the guys who want to take on roles that have typically been defined as "women's roles." I also think that women who want to see equality in the workplace should realise it goes both ways - if we say we can do a "man's" job then we need to let the men do a "woman's" job.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't have a problem with a male child care worker. There used to be a lovely man at my centre and both DD and DS were quite attached to him. DD was sad when he moved interstate. I think it is good for children to have both female and male carers. We have another male student who does some work at our child care centre and I've never even given it a second thought that he is helping DS to use the toilet, no more than I have when the females help him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH is a childcare worker and has been for 12 years. He does it because he loves kids and loves to watch them learn.

He finds it very difficult at times to do what he does because of peoples speculations. I hate that he is made to feel like this simply because of his gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I'd like to hear some examples, I can't really think of any...? The only one I can think of is the centre that tied the babies' legs up with sheets, I can't recall if they were male or female carers though?
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226516440697

Well here's one just a couple of months ago. I can keep posting links if you like... There are hundreds of reported cases. Most occur in schools though, childcare abuse seems to be less common (or less often caught... Who knows).

I'm not saying that men shouldn't be childcare workers, my 2yo DS has a male carer in his group at childcare... And we LOVE him. But if the OP feels uncomfortable with a particular carer (male or female) then by all means, pull your kid out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mill View Post
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226516440697

Well here's one just a couple of months ago. I can keep posting links if you like... There are hundreds of reported cases. Most occur in schools though, childcare abuse seems to be less common (or less often caught... Who knows).

I'm not saying that men shouldn't be childcare workers, my 2yo DS has a male carer in his group at childcare... And we LOVE him. But if the OP feels uncomfortable with a particular carer (male or female) then by all means, pull your kid out.
    The article didn't say that he was a childcare worker, just that it occurred at a "private childcare facility". But anyhoo, I agree with you that anyone who has a problem should pull their child out. If something like this concerns someone then childcare is definitely not suitable for them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

My son is starting family daycare on Monday and the reason we chose it was because there is a male carer so no neither my partner or I have any issues with a male looking after our child or female for that matter as it is a husband and wife who run his family day care

Thanks
    Reviews

Forever mine that is awful that your DH feels like that! Can I also stress again to other PPs that I personally don't have an issue with male childcare workers. I never said I did in my OP!