+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Male relief childcare carer.

Thank you all and I agree with everything you're all saying! It was a topic that came up this morning with some mothers group friends and I was just wondering how most people felt because there were some very strong divided opinions! I think it is sad that there aren't more male teachers/carers because it certainly does give children more male role models! And I certainly don't think they are any less capable of being nurturing. I also think that limiting their role would certainly be discriminatory! There shouldn't be any difference between a female or male toiletting a child. They should all have police clearances etc.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also think its important to remember that for some people it isnt about discriminating against men for no real reason. Some people may have been abused themselves and have that 'once bitten twice shy' approach with their children. I know a man who was abused by his father and as a result he was scared about changing his own daughters nappy...purely because he was nervous about what other people MAY think of him. He would keep an extra close eye on his daughter when she was young but couldnt help it...he felt an extra need to 'protect' her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I also think its important to remember that for some people it isnt about discriminating against men for no real reason. Some people may have been abused themselves and have that 'once bitten twice shy' approach with their children. I know a man who was abused by his father and as a result he was scared about changing his own daughters nappy...purely because he was nervous about what other people MAY think of him. He would keep an extra close eye on his daughter when she was young but couldnt help it...he felt an extra need to 'protect' her.
    This is very true and a point made by a friend of mine today!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Wouldn't that be discrimination?
    My husband has missed out on jobs that include more 'intimate' care of a female child because of his gender, it's one of those areas they can legally discriminate in, it's rarely been an issue for a female working with a male child. Many men in these kinds of professions refuse to work one on one for fear of false accusations.

Sadly, I know a few men that were sexually abused by their mothers, so my degree of unease extends to both genders when it come to paedophilia.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

I think it's appalling that we treat male carers different females.
    they are just as good, if not better then most women I have worked with.

no wonder why this world isn't fair.
    and no one has equal rights.

*shakes head*

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I think a centre would be wise to not allow the male to do the toileting/nappy changes. Its no secret that men carers are looked at as suss by many people so I think the centre should just cover its bases and make that exception.

I work with kids aged from kindy-yr6 and we had a male working with us. Was slightly odd for the first day but the kids absolutely loved him.
    I highly doubt that would work very well. The other staff would get the ****s. I know I would if I and my female colleagues had to change nappies and male colleagues didn't!!!

A good idea would be to make sure that there are no staff left alone with children.. to protect the staff and children. I mean female and male staff by that statement too. I'm a primary school teacher and I always make sure that I'm not alone with a single child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think it would be absolutely fine to have either a male or female child care worker. Like PPs have said they all go through the same checks so what's the difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

No - I think it's great to have a mix of male and female carers and think its sad people might be uncomfortable with it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    I can't believe this is even a thread
    This.

DD had a number of male carers at daycare, she loved them. I really don't see the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

I am appalled at this thread! How could anyone be against a male CC worker for no other reason than he's male??

Next thing you'll be protesting against gay CC workers...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (30-01-2013)