+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

More male childcare workers are needed. Its great for children to have a male role model in care and it might further benefit children who do not have a male role model at home.
    Being worried about this is as bad as the lesbian educator protesters from a thread the other day. Just because they are a minority it doesnt make them a pedofile.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to youmake3 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (29-01-2013),loonylea  (30-01-2013),LoveHeart  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Male relief childcare carer.

Yeh I understand some feeling that was I just think if the male carer was dodgey in any way the other workers surely would get a funny feeling as u do sometimes with people and he wouldn't get the job.. HOPEFULLY

Oh and to add I would be more drawn to a centre with male carers in amongst the female. Better for my child to have both for the day in my eyes!
    Last edited by pisang; 29-01-2013 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd be thrilled, I'd be so excited for my kids. In fact I WAS thrilled when my kids did have a male child care worker - and TBH I'd be really p155ed off if any parent mentioned anything discriminatory within my hearing.

My kids were lucky to have a male child care worker who was a beautiful role model. He was also Army Reserve which seemed odd to be diametrically opposed interests/career choices.

We were even luckier to then get a male kinder teacher.

I love seeing men in traditionally female roles that envelope a nuturing role - it gives me hope that both my kids will be treated equally in this world.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Probably. I meant more put them in a higher age group room. Say 3 and up or 4 and up.

ETA: Just to clarify, I dont have a problem with male workers, but I know people do.
    The problem with that though is that the more centres do that to cater to the few that do have a problem with it the less it becomes 'normal' for a male to be with a younger age group so the harder people find it to accept as typical practice. Hence giving weight to the view that it is odd/wrong/worrying etc to have a male working with younger children instead of challenging that view and normalising the practice.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I think the fact that threads like this even exist is awful. Having run Childcare centres for years,having a husband who is a child care director and a father in law who owns and runs a child care centre (and used to own 4 of them) I think that any attitude of discrimination towards men in the industry is only contributing to the skill shortage of this industry and depriving young children the opportunity for fantastic role models in their early learning years. I have employed many men in my time in Childcare and wish there were more willinging to stay in the industry long term as try bring anther positive dimension to the early learning environment. The majority of men in the industry are usually relief as they are often studying things like teaching at Uni.
    Gender should not be a factor in what line of work people choose to pursue.
    Agreed.
    FOB is amazing with kids...he just 'gets' them. He'd be the sort of person who would make a great child care worker.
    At DS school last year there was a student teacher who was clearly the most involved and best teacher in the school. I spoke to DS teacher to see if DS could be in this males class next year as he seemed to be exactly what DS needs at school (sporty, strong, fun male role model) but she said he was only on his prac from uni and wouldnt be returning. Me and DP were bummed.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't think anything of it. As a PP said, male workers go through the same checks and training as females do.

I actually think it's really sad that it would/could be an issue for some parents

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't believe this is even a thread

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (29-01-2013),Lincolns mummy  (30-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    The problem with that though is that the more centres do that to cater to the few that do have a problem with it the less it becomes 'normal' for a male to be with a younger age group so the harder people find it to accept as typical practice. Hence giving weight to the view that it is odd/wrong/worrying etc to have a male working with younger children instead of challenging that view and normalising the practice.
    Oh yeah I totally get that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't think much of it. The centre DD goes to is owned by a husband & wife and the guy is around sometimes. I think it's great, I don't want my kids thinking that caring for children is only a woman's job. As far as the nappy/toilet thing goes, if they are qualified professionals and follow the centre policies/procedures then I don't see an issue, male or female.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

miztrezz  (30-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Male relief childcare carer.

Jaspers jnr kindy teacher is a male carer he's so good, he's just another carer.

I have this crazy statistic though, did you know that approximately 50% of parents are men?! Who knew that men were just as capable and caring with children as women. Shocking hey?

(sorry I just made that statistic up.... But logically it's got to be pretty accurate?)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (30-01-2013),Californication  (30-01-2013),ChickyBee  (29-01-2013),CupidsVictim  (29-01-2013),GreenMama  (30-01-2013),Guest654  (30-01-2013),HugsBunny  (29-01-2013),Inked Mumma  (30-01-2013),jez  (29-01-2013),Lincolns mummy  (30-01-2013),loonylea  (30-01-2013),LoveHeart  (30-01-2013),Luna Lovegood  (30-01-2013),NancyBlackett  (30-01-2013),Stretched  (30-01-2013),VanityFey  (30-01-2013)