+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy sleeper...

I've just (re) checked the safe sleep guidelines that state babies should be put on their backs to sleep. Apparently 'most' babies can't roll onto their tummy till 5-6 months... My DD is 3 months old and has been rolling herself onto her tummy to settle/sleep for the last 2 weeks... While I'm not as worried about it in the day because I'm generally in the same room as her or monitoring closely (as when she sleeps its generally only 10-25 mins at a time), her wanting/needing to do this at night is starting to worry me. She will literally throw herself around her bassinet until she manages to roll over (bashing arms and legs multiple times in the meantime), and once on her tummy will settle quickly. Only problem is that if I attempt to turn her she will wake. I've tried wrapping, but she just fights that and becomes quite upset.
    Basically my question is - has anyone else had this happen from so young? And any ideas to encourage back sleeping? (At least for a couple more months?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tummy sleeper...

SIDS recommends babies sleep on their backs.

All three of my babies have rolled from their backs to their tummies very early, around 6 weeks. This is also how they preferred to sleep as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy sleeper...

My DD was rolling into her tummy from 2 months old . I stayed awake all night for a week straight when she started doing it. She was very strong and lifted her head well. I had to move her into her cot much earlier than I had hoped and just made sure her cot was completely empty and put her in a sleeping bag to keep her warm and let her go for it. There is nothing you can do to safely keep them on their backs. I still put her down on her back now at 13 months and she makes herself comfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tummy sleeper...

Having the same problem with my 8 week old. She's currently asleep on her belly right next to me on our bed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tummy sleeper...

dd slept on her tummy from early on, she just hated being on her back. at first I continued encouraging her to sleep on her back and it just made for grumpy baby and mummy. I finally just let her sleep on her tummy. at first I was a bundle of nerves and checked on her every 2 seconds. I finally realised that she was fine had great neck control and she slept like a pro! I also had the angel care monitor with the sensor pads which gave me extra piece of mind.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy sleeper...

Dd slept on her back from very early on, we got a angel care movement monitor and made sure we stuck with all the other SIDS safe sleeping guidelines no blankets, bumpers, toys in her bed to reduce the risk as much as we could. She also had very good head/neck control.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy sleeper...

All 3 of mine preferred tummy and all had strong necks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Little devil, doesn't she know the guidelines!
    I think the angelcare monitor sounds like a good idea in your situation, she can sleep how she is comfortable, and you will have more peace of mind.
    My boy is 7 months and the face down sleeping still freaks me out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tummy sleeper...

If she can roll onto her tummy herself then it's ok. Just make sure she's not using the side of the cot to push against for leverage to roll over - DS did this at 2 weeks and we had to move him into a cot so he couldn't do it.

The angelcare monitor might make you feel better but is pointless in terms of SIDS.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tummy sleeper...

Thanks ladies.. She is very strong, but I was worried about whether she'd move to an 'unsafe' position while asleep. Think she might have to graduate to a cot soon so she has more room..

I've tried sleeping bags, another thing she gets upset about. Even in her bassinet she's just dressed warmly with no covers.

I seem to just have a very determined monkey! Lol